Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found the cause of my timing problems - my distributor hold down threads are stripped. It is a 390 . Is there any downside to inserting a heli-coil? Can I get away without having to remove the intake?
Thanks gents.

·
Registered
326 Posts
just tap it the next size up, or heil it ... dip the drill bit in grease and go slow and redip ect... this keeps the clips out.grease the tap to. I would pull the dizzy out and plug the hole to allow full view of the problem. should not have any problems..

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was thinking of just using a stud and putting a nut on the underside, and some red loctite on the threads. But I am afraid it would drop inside.

·
Registered
216 Posts
i found the cause of my timing problems - my distributor hold down threads are stripped. It is a 390 . Is there any downside to inserting a heli-coil? Can i get away without having to remove the intake?
Thanks gents.
on the 351 that actually is threaded into the timing cover. If so though you could have it off in about an hour.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The problem with using a helicoil is the close proximity of the hole to the distributor hole. I don't think I can drill a bigger hole without breaking it. Unless I try to drill off center, which would be difficult. Or, maybe using a smaller hold-down screw, 1/4" instead of 5/16". Clamping force might be reduced, but given the torque spec is a dainty 12 ft/lbs, I doubt that would be a concern. I could be wrong though.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Maybe I'm missing something here but, is it the stud that's striped or worn or the engine block?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Maybe I'm missing something here but, is it the stud that's striped or worn or the engine block?
Both the distributor hole and the hold down screw hole are in the intake manifold, about 1/8" apart, if that. There is nothing on the other side; that is, when you look in there you're looking at lifters and pushrods. The intake is an aluminum Offenhauser unit that was on the car when I bought it, and it's probably about 3/8" thick there.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts