Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have most of my parts ordered from Summit and Rock Auto for my 5.0 build for my 64 Falcon. One thing that I have not ordered yet is the distributor/ignition and the intake manifold (most likely Weiand Stealth).

For the distributor/ignition, not sure which direction to go but like to stray $100 or less.

Is there another alternative to the $50 HEI Distributor from Skip White Performance that may be little better which will work well with my Roller 5.0 / TFS1 cam ?

White Performance Detail Description

How about the distributor & ignition module from 85 Mustang?

On RockAuto, the 85 Mustang Distributor is $50 and the Ignition Module is $15. I do like the small base.

Thanks

Waid

Attachments

·
Banned
6,355 Posts
when looking for cheap , you get what you pay for.

cheap did work for performance, there be no need for MSD, Mallory and ... plus...

looks like you found the ignition in your price range

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Is there another alternative to the $50 HEI Distributor from Skip White Performance that may be little better which will work well with my Roller 5.0 / TFS1 cam ?

I do agree that you get what you pay for that is why I am looking for something little bit better! After more searching, I found this below. I may be able to have best of both world. Small Ford distributor with HEI ignition.

Dirt cheap Ignition

A lot of guys when converting from fuel injection to carb use the Duraspark II system. This requires pulling out the TFI distributor and coil and replacing them with the Duraspark distributor, coil, module, starter solenoid, and ballast resistor. Yeah its complicated and can get spendy but what else is there besides an even spendier aftermarket system? Well, if you don't mind a little cross breeding you can use a GM HEI ignition module. All that's required is a Duraspark distributor, HEI module, and coil. Because of the dwell control and current limiting circuits of the HEI you can use just about any coil you want, including the TFI coil, and no ballast resistor is needed.

·
Registered
10,327 Posts
There are 101 ways to set-up electronic or high-energy electronic ignition. The up-side to the DuraSpark distributors are established quality and reliability, and that includes the advance mechanism as well as the gear and such. A value at 3 times the price, and the only thing it lacks is bling.

I would suggest three basic options to get started, with others available for special needs:

1. DS distributor, DS-I California HEI module (red grommet), and TFI, HEI, or Blaster II coil.
  2. DS distributor, GM 4-pin HEI module, and TFI, HEI, or Blaster II coil.
  3. DS distributor, PerTronix III module and matching coil, or TFI, HEI, or Blaster II coil.
Option 1 is least expensive and simplest plug 'n play. Option 2 is nearly as cheap, most complicated install, loses cranking retard function, but saves module space and modules are everywhere. Option 3 is most expensive, easy install, most capable with added multi-spark and rev-limiting, and uses almost any HEI-type coil at max potential, and needs no external module. Short of crank-triggered full-electronic control distributorless ignition - you can't do much better.

Start there and let us know what your guiding factors are (simple, common, powerful, cheap, high-tech, etc.) for similar choices.

David

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
1. DS distributor, DS-I California HEI module (red grommet), and TFI, HEI, or Blaster II coil.
David, for now I dont want to mess with any hybrid and I just want to get my motor running.

1. For the Option 1, what am I looking for at Rock Auto / Autozone etcc.... ?

2. Most DS distributor comes with iron gear. My Explorer 5.0 came with coil pack but has the cam sensor driven by the same type of distributor gear which I believe is steel. Can use this steel gear on the DS Distributor ?

Thanks

Waid

·
Banned
6,355 Posts
David, for now I dont want to mess with any hybrid and I just want to get my motor running.

2. Most DS distributor comes with iron gear. My Explorer 5.0 came with coil pack but has the cam sensor driven by the same type of distributor gear which I believe is steel. Can use this steel gear on the DS Distributor ?

Thanks

Waid
steel gear . only D/Spark dist. that Might come with that gear is the first 5.0 HO with carb ang roller cam .

gear could be swap to any dist with same shaft dia. --note , oem gear drill holes ARE off center and for installed height

·
Registered
10,327 Posts

Thanks

Waid
1. You're after a DuraSpark I (not the standard II) setup. Lookup applications would be a 1977-1979 Lincoln Versailles or '77-'79 Mercury Marquis. Important - it must be California only, not "Federal emission" or "49-state". It has a RED grommet. See pic below.

These things were expensive to make back then, and were only used to get past CA state emissions requirements. They are a true HEI, where the Federal version (BLUE grommet and other colors) were enhanced standard electronic ignition with standard coils. When the emission standards became Federal, the TFI system was then in-use with equivalent power, but computer-controlled.

Ford and other part numbers that cross-over are: 12334614, D7AE-12A199-A1B, D7AE-12A199-A1E, D7AE-12A199-A2B, D7AZ-12A199-A, DY204, and F1914

2. It's very possible that the cam sensor gear from an Explorer would work, but I have not tried it or measured for it. Simplest is to get the Mustang DS distributor for the roller cam. Otherwise, get measuring.

BTW - be sure to use an HEI-type coil to get the benefits. Also, be sure to delete any resistors in your ignition wiring for the same reason. It is the only DS box that regulates the power through the coil, so no resistor is needed or wanted. It's even simpler to wire than the commonly referenced blue-grommet box.

David

Airtex DuraSpark I red-grommet HEI box. About $30 at RockAuto.com:

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)

Attachments

·
Banned
6,355 Posts
David

Which distributor & coil do I order (1977-1979 Lincoln Versailles or '77-'79 Mercury Marquis) ?

More Information for WORLD POWER SYSTEMS DST2899A

Large cap or the Smaller cap version ?

Can I use this billet one which has magnetric pickup but no vacume advance ?

SBF Ford 289 302 5 0 Pro Billet Small Base Distributor 6602 Blue | eBay

Waid
I already told you what dist . then PSIG said to get the same.

The Modual is from the Lincoln

plus way ask if you showing ebay non oem aftermarket parts

forgot-always better with large cap

·
Premium Member
1,466 Posts
Your 85 GT dizzy is the one and only stock one for a roller cam. They are meant to have an adapter and use the large cap which is better. This will probably be better than cheap ebay stuff or HEI . If you find a used MSD or similar you could also hook that to it.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
ok. This is what I found on Autozone's Website for 85 Mustang 5.0. This is what I need. Correct ?

I was looking at aftermarket distributor that would work with DS Module. Price is the same.

Thanks

Waid

Attachments

·
Registered
10,327 Posts
On the AutoZone website, part number 30-2831 is the correct one at $49.99 + $15 core in-store or free shipping. 1985 Mustang, 5.0L, 4-barrel, manual transmission, steel gear.

The module and coil are the California parts also mentioned earlier. RockAuto has them for about $30 (AIRTEX Part # 6H1097 module) and $15 (ULTRAPOWER Part # FD477 coil).

Everything under $100. AutoZone will take any distributor back in the box as a core. The large cap and rotor were actually designed for the DS-I HEI to prevent terminal crossfire, and are recommended. You could use the small cap, but you will need to keep your system in top-shape to avoid crossfire with the higher DS-I voltage. Not recommended.

David

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Thanks again for your help David !

I placed my order with Rock Auto for both the Module and the Coil. Will have to get the Distributor from Autozone.

Waid

·
Banned
6,355 Posts
David, I have read at several places that the Red had very high failure rate.

Just BS?

Waid
just get a points dist. and use USA made points and cond. the china stuff - throw 10 sets in the glove box and don't forget a screwdriver

·
Registered
10,327 Posts
Once upon a time, all Ford modules had a higher failure rate. Not all that high, but enough it was not uncommon for one of your friends to have had one fry in their car's life. That changed in the late 1980's with newer electronics technology. Failures now are quite rare. Having said all that, I have not ever heard reliable info nor seen any evidence that DS-I boxes failed (now or then) any more or less often than any other color.

In-fact, in a general sense, the "old reliable" GM 4-pin module actually seems to have a higher percentage of failure than Ford modules of any year. I say it seems, as the reliability of all of them is substantially better than mechanical point systems. In the vast majority of cases, the electronic modules out-live the cars with room to spare, and with zero maintenance along the way. Can't say that about any points system.

David

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
David, I found this diagram on Auzones webiste.

Where do I get rest of the wiring harness ?

Since I am also getting a distributor from Autozone for a 1985 Mustang, I could also use the Duraspark Module or coil from the same car in an Emergency since no one locally stocks California versions. Correct ?

Do all versions of Duraspark Modules has the star retard capability for easy start ?

Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
10,327 Posts
David, I found this diagram on Auzones webiste.
I simplified it below.
Where do I get rest of the wiring harness ?
Either use standard spade connectors of the correct size to run between connectors (using the diagram below).
-OR-
Build your own with new connectors from online sources or your local NAPA may still have them.
-OR-
Pull the harness between the distributor and module from any DS car or truck. You will strip most of the wires out and just use the ones in the diagram.
Since I am also getting a distributor from Autozone for a 1985 Mustang, I could also use the Duraspark Module or coil from the same car in an Emergency since no one locally stocks California versions. Correct ?
The RED box will run any generic coil. The spark will be weaker with a points coil than an HEI-type coil, but it will run fine. You will need to re-gap your plugs smaller for a weaker standard coil. HE coil: .060"+ Non-HE coils: .035-.045" max.

However, if you need to replace the module, the common one is the BLUE grommet box. If you do that, you must use a non-HEI coil. Any generic points coil will do to get you home. If you try to run a high-energy coil with a blue box, it will fry something. Also, do not leave the key ON without the engine running, or it will fry something as you do not have a resistor.

So, to recap: Bad coil? Any coil will run with it. Bad module? Both the module and coil must be changed.
Do all versions of Duraspark Modules has the star retard capability for easy start ?
Most do, though I have not confirmed the GREEN or BROWN ones do. The common RED and BLUE ones do for sure.

David

Simplified version of the wiring for a DIY harness:

·
Registered
734 Posts
hey waid ive ran hei, duraspark and a smaller billet HEI.

heres my 2 cents:

*the hei's base is too wide for ford aftermaeket intake manifolds. but the hei works GREAAAT!($50 ebay)

*the billet HEI works great as well. fits all intakes well cause of its narrow base. ($50 ebay)

*the duraspark is a mess of wires and old HEI like technolagy that still falls short in comparison to other electric distributors.

*sounds like u are going performance so i say get the billet type (HEI) distributors

·
Registered
146 Posts
I chose the Skip White HEI for a Pontiac I'm working on. I did quite a bit of reading on it, and found a lot of Pontiac guys have used it. The consensus over on performanceyears is that the Skip White unit works very well, and is ready to go out of the box. I haven't fired my Pontiac yet (next course of weeks, hopefully) so I can't tell you how mine runs.

I've also run a Duraspark unit on my Ranchero. It worked very well, but I switched to EFI. But as CraigerGTA pointed out, wiring was a little more involved that with the HEI.

Also, I have a the dizzy you need (from an 85 Mustang GT) if you want it. PM me if you're interested.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

1 - 20 of 26 Posts