Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i need to some help. i put a new intake manifold gasket on my 390. i am trying to get the get the distributor back in it goes down but seems not to engage with oil pump shaft. i have tried bumping the engine but no luck is there any other ways to get this thing to clear. it is a stock distributor.
thanks for any help

·
Registered
1 Posts
1/4" socket with an extension. You can rotate slightly and try to redrop distributer back in. By bumping the engine you will need to reset the engine back to TDC comp stroke. Otherwise you need to be certain where the rotor is pointing. Be methodical.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Or use a 1/4 nut driver. You might have to try several tries at turning the oil pump shaft just a smidge so your distributor will drop in at the right point. That "just right smidge" is sometimes hard to find, but not totaly elusive.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
which way do i turn the shaft does it matter i just do not want to screw up and drop the socket

·
Registered
284 Posts
CCW if you are priming your engine other wise it doesn't matter, all you are turning is the oil pump, your engine should be # 1 TDC and rotor pointing at #1 when the ditributor is fully seated. I use the nut driver just so I don't drop a socket, that would be my luck exactly.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
well i am at a loss. i bumped it again to tdc i tried turning the shaft all it does it falls to the side again. i cant get it to stay in the middle. my wifes 200 never gave me this trouble. i have got to get this done she is my daily driver. could i be missing something with this

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i am correct in thinking the hold down clamp is flat on the manifold and not slightly angled. i am asking because i just cannot seem to get the distributor to go down the flush with the distributor hole

·
Registered
581 Posts
You said the shaft keeps falling to the side, sounds like it is not all the way in the oil pump. One way to do this is get a plastic straw that fits tightly over the shaft and when it is lined up in the pump take a thin screwdriver or a welding rod and while holding the straw push the shaft into the pump till it bottoms out and while holding pressure down on the shaft you can remove the straw. Once the shaft is all the way in try loosening the intake bolts and install the distributor, once it is in place you can retorque the intake and be good to go.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: UTRY on 7/5/06 12:16pm ]</font>

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thanks tony
i will give a try and see if i am successful i will let you know
thanks
volkstony

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
well no luck still. i tried a straw no dice 1/4"sockets were to big to fit in the hole i did it all turned the crank quite a few times jiggled and still nothing i am at my wits end with this stupid distributor. it is the only thing that keeping me from finishing the car

·
Registered
1 Posts
Misalignment of manifold. Common problem. Set in hole as far as you can. Remove rotor. Use rubber mallet and whack it into position. If after a few blows it still does not go, then remove and use a flashlight to see the new indentation marks on the shaft. That will tell you exactly how far to turn oil pump shaft. You can use a 1/4" deep 6 point socket (Duralast) from Autozone on a long extension or 12 point. The tape idea is a good one as well.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
well i will see what autozone has since i work there i get a discount which is a plus. as for the manifold i tried loosening it and still same problem. to help does anyone have a close up of their distributor installed so i can have a reference. thanks guys for all your help this is so simple but frustrating

·
Registered
284 Posts
When you turn the shaft, if you feel resistance then it's probably all the way in the pump. Even though the shaft falls the the side slightly in it's hole it should still go into the distributor. You are trying to line up the distributor gear to the cam and at the same time line all six sides of the pump shaft to the bottom of the distributor and some times it only takes a hair off to line it up. I've had it take me thity minutes of slightly rotating the pump shaft to get it to seat right. It always seems like the first time the distributor will properly seat every where but with the rotor pointing to #1. You also may want to check the bottom of the distributor shaft where the pump shaft seats to make sure there are no burrs or distorted edges.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Keep in mind only the rubber gasket goes all the way down. The clamp ring will stick up some. Like 5-6 mm. Beat that piece of shiznit in there! Enough of the headaches.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
well i went ahead and checked the shaft, it was fine. i went ahead and bought a rebuilt distributor to avoid anymore problems. well low and behold the distributor went in real smooth and works great. i thought i was right about the angle of the clamp. i looked at a guys galaxie with the 390 all original and his was up a little also. thanks guys for all your help it is just so nice that is done now

·
Registered
284 Posts
Hey, that's great! Were you able to tell what the difference between your old one and the new one is?

·
Registered
581 Posts
What was up with the old one, was it hard to remove? Take a look and see if the hex drive or drive gear got buggered up or the roll pin in the gear was sheared.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
my old distributor had a distorted shaft just enough not to go in and the difference between the two only is that the newer one is an autolite and less thicker with no oil fill hole. works very nice though

1 - 19 of 19 Posts