Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picked up a remanufactured DuraSpark dist for my 351C today. I'd like to re-curve it so that the advance comes in quicker. The instructions in the Archive are great, but they don't tell you how to get the damn thing apart. Obviously there are two screws that hold the breaker plate on, but the vane assembly on the top of the shaft will prevent the breaker assembly from being removed. I'm at a loss as to how to remove the vane. This is obviously my first shot at distributor work, but hey, you gotta learn somehow!

·
Registered
1,185 Posts

It should slide off the top. the little roll pin is the only thing that holds it on and locates it. When I first took mine apart, I was having the same problem. It will take a little force, maybe pry on it with a couple of screwdrivers.

This is all assuming it looks like the one pictured above (I've never really worked on a Clev before).

1964 Comet 289 C4 daily driver
TFS TW, Weiand Stealth, Comp XE268, Rhodes lifters, TFS roller rockers, Carter 625 AFB, Hooker SuperComps
"These go to 11." -This is Spinal Tap

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: dragman64 on 3/24/02 2:47am ]</font>

·
Premium Member
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Walt. Thought about using screwdrivers, but wanted to check with you guys first before I screwed the pooch! I'll give it a shot and see what happens.

·
Premium Member
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Walt - Screwdrivers worked perfectly, thanks. If you don't mind, I'd like to pick your brain a bit more. Reluctor arms on the dist are stamped with 18L and 13L. The 13L is selected now. Have 1 heavy and 1 light spring. I know that if I go with 2 light springs, it will bring the 26 degrees of advance in sooner, but is there any way of knowing at what RPM this will occur? I don't have access to a dyno and the local machine shop says their distributor machine won't handle electronic distributors, only point style.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Put in the two light ones. Have someone bring the rpms up while watching the tach. Watch the timing marks with a timing light. You'll know when its all in cause they will reach their limit of movement (the marks). Make sure the vaccum line is disconnected and pluged while doing this.

Easy, eh?

·
Premium Member
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks again Walt. As with most everything else in life, thinking about doing it is usally more painful than the actual task!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts