Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I pulled the distributor on my 302 Hot Rod and replaced the Intake Manifold and rebuilt the Carb., so now I'm buttoning this thing up and I have been fighting with trying to to get my distributor seated all the way down. I've tried everything I can think of to get oil pump rod to match back up with the distributor shaft , (used a socket , screwdrivers, magnet , you name it). I have no problem meshing the helical gear to the camshaft. It looks and feels like it's in place, but there is about a 1/8-1/4" or so gap that I don't believe was there before. I can even get the retaining clip and bolt on it. But that gap has me nervous. I don't want to put it all back together and blow the engine if the pumps not turning.

Any thoughts will be appreciated!

·
Registered
473 Posts
Hi All,

I pulled the distributor on my 302 Hot Rod and replaced the Intake Manifold and rebuilt the Carb., so now I'm buttoning this thing up and I have been fighting with trying to to get my distributor seated all the way down. I've tried everything I can think of to get oil pump rod to match back up with the distributor shaft , (used a socket , screwdrivers, magnet , you name it). I have no problem meshing the helical gear to the camshaft. It looks and feels like it's in place, but there is about a 1/8-1/4" or so gap that I don't believe was there before. I can even get the retaining clip and bolt on it. But that gap has me nervous. I don't want to put it all back together and blow the engine if the pumps not turning.

Any thoughts will be appreciated!
With dist in place but not bolted down, timing as close as you can get, leave the cap off, or pull coil wire so the engine won't start.

Crank engine while putting light hand pressure on the dist body.

It should drop right in the last bit as the engine cranks.

If it doesn't, it's possible the intake has shifted slightly.

Did you have the dist in place when you torqued the intake?

Sometimes the dist is needed to be in place to "align" the intake with the dist hole in the block, BEFORE you torque the intake.

But try the cranking trick first.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The dist was out when I torqued the Intake. I've messed around with the oil shaft quite a bit trying to get it lined up , just using trial and error. That's an interesting idea - I will try cranking the engine. Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Had a whole lot of fun with the same issue, found that a thin wall 11/32" socket will drop into the hole at the bottom of the hole and help you spin the oil shaft to align it. Not sure I like the idea of bump starting the car to get it to drop in, the Dizzy is attached to the cam shaft which is connected to the crank which is the part your trying to time once the Dizzy is in. Could be wrong, wouldn't be the first time today.

Cheers,

Doc

·
Registered
473 Posts
Had a whole lot of fun with the same issue, found that a thin wall 11/32" socket will drop into the hole at the bottom of the hole and help you spin the oil shaft to align it. Not sure I like the idea of bump starting the car to get it to drop in, the Dizzy is attached to the cam shaft which is connected to the crank which is the part your trying to time once the Dizzy is in. Could be wrong, wouldn't be the first time today.

Cheers,

Doc
The idea is to NOT start the engine,
just bump the engine over enough to get the oil pump shaft to align with the dist, so the dist drops into place.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts