Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hate to be dumb but have a senior moment that is lasting to long. While trying to prime the oil pump on my 390, i thought it was in a clockwise rotation but could not get any oil to flow, and th epump made a whining sound. When I tried Counter clockwise ,I met with pump resistance. It is a new pump.
Also what is the rotation of the distributor. The fire order is :1,5,4,2,6,3,7,8. I can not rembember where the wires go into the cap except No. 1 which is marked on the cap.
Any help would be appreciated.
Ltobleck

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
Most all Ford V-8's (big and small) and four cylinder engines have distributors (and oil pumps) that when looking directly down on the top will turn counter-clockwise.

Most of the inline six cylinder engines turn clockwise when you look at the top of the distributor.

The position and design of the ignition points will reveal the correct direction.

The toughness of the oil pump turning in the correct direction may have been due to cold oil.

Wm.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My senior hour finally pased and I figured out that it must be CC Clockwise but do appreciate the help. The block is a 66 390 that I have had in the car for 15 years and was stock. I have added a 4 bbl Edlebrock manifold , a Crane 272 cam an shorty cast iron Frod headers this spring. Hope to have running soon. see my pictures for some looks at the engine as I put it back together.
Thanks Again
Larry

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
As I remember, the only V-8 engines with clockwise rotation are the flatheads.

When I go to autoparts store for another set of ingnition points, they ask what engine, transmission, etc. I just tell them to take their own pick of any in the 1960's. For other than dual point engines, they are practibly all the same from 1957 to 1973. For them, it is set number four and you would think they would have it memorized by now.

Wm.

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
On 2006-06-03 07:33, coosbaylumber wrote:
As I remember, the only V-8 engines with clockwise rotation are the flatheads.
My friends 49 Flathead we are rebuilding also rotates counter clockwise.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts