Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,330 Posts
Any of the ready to run. MSD, Mallory, summit brands. Don't forget the coil.

·
Banned
6,355 Posts
What kind should I run ? I'm building a 331 and mostly a daily driver . I want good performance but also don't want to stop at every gas station I pass to fill up. Any input would be great.
dist. has very little input on mpg when curve and timing is correct for build. vacuum advance dist. get better mpg than non v/a

·
Registered
10,342 Posts
What about running a mechanical and locking it out ? I heard that was the way to go ? Any comments on doing that ?
That is popular for drag-only or endurance engines running high rpm. It sux for lost torque at lower rpms and part-throttle, but drag and endurance racers don't care about that as they only need it to run well above those rpms, and they use higher-octane fuel to avoid detonation. It can cause transitional detonation in pump gas street engines. If you watch a locked-out pump gas car, you'll usually see a puff of blue smoke on acceleration - that's a sign of det and lost power even if you can't hear it.

Yeah, there are a lot of opinions on stuff like this, and sometimes it works OK. But, most of the time, it's just something someone used that "runs great!". Not considering the apples-to-oranges part, my question to that is "Compared to what?". Your tune should be as optimal as possible for the job it has to do, and with a street-driven car (even if only a weekender), that includes full timing control at all rpms, loads, and throttle settings to get the most from it. That includes power, mileage, and engine life. My 2¢.

David

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.