Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
... run an alternator and/or power steering on your drag only Fords? Seems like a waste of HP to me but it seems to look better without the alt. and PS pump. What do you guys run, I realy want to know.
83 T-Bird 351C. Drag only....Bob

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
All the drag specific cars I see at the track dont have P/S and dont use an ALT., they run off of the battery, and recharge inbetweens rounds.

·
Premium Member
14,758 Posts
I've been running 'drag only' cars for quite a long time now. (over 30 years off and on), and on EVERY car, I've run an alternator. I usually run an electric water pump of some sort, but ALWAYS an alternator.
Modern electronic ignitions hate low voltage.
It's also a major hassle to have to worry about whether or not your battery is up to snuff between rounds, always hooking up your little generator, or having to idle your tow vehicle with jumpers on it to charge your race vehicle. Seems like a major pain in the ass to me.
So much easier to put a good alternator on, and be done with it.
At least that's my .002

·
Registered
58 Posts
I run a 3G on mine. The electrical load is too much now with a MKVIII fan, water pump, fuel pump, ignition, evac, lights etc...

Charging between rounds would be a huge PITA as far as I'm concerned.

todd

·
Premium Member
2,216 Posts
I run an alternator but its not keeping up with the electric fan, fuel pump and water pump and the MSD equipment. I have to top mine off with the tow vehicle between rounds. Its not that much of a hassle since I'm cooling down the car anyway.

·
Registered
749 Posts
Ive found that on the bracket only car my dad run and I "crew chiefed" on that running no alt sucked for all the above mentioned reasons. One other reason that in the early rounds you have time to charge the bat....but the further you go in ladder the less time you have to charge it. Its not worth it.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I agree with three BG400GPH pumps, an electric water pump and an MSD 7AL3, 12 volts aint enough.

14 volts with an 130+ amp alternator. I run the alternator, no PS.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I too agree with most of the replies.I do and highly suggest using an alternator.I charge the battery between rounds and use the alternator to maintain the voltage required to operate the major electrical components.If you bracket race(as most of us do)the most important factor is consistency,not how much faster or quicker you can run than your buddy.When to many variables are present,consistency is lost.Using an alternator will eliminate some of those variables.....Livermore Dave.

·
Registered
777 Posts
I use an alternator on my drag only car too. Too much of an electrical load nowadays to go without one. And, at least on my car, it slows down a touch without the alternator on it. MSD likes voltage, that's why the "hot" ticket a few years ago was the 16 volt batteries.

·
Registered
140 Posts
If you want to run both and still keep your horsepower,try using underdrive pulleys,they work very well for me,a very minimal power loss for a charging and steering system and they dont cost much.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts