Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi i have a 64 ford falcon (289 & c4 trans) with a column shifter.
i been procrastinating the installation of my used Vmatic hurst shifter that i bought used at a car show. i recently purchased a 3 foot long cable but i am unsure if its the correct one for my application.

any ideas? i want to know so i wont open the packet and ruin the chance of me being able to exchange it for the correct one.

Shifter: Hurst 383-8520 Hurst V-Matic 2 Dual Mode Shifter
Cable: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/huu-5000023

·
Premium Member
4,459 Posts
Most of the shifter kits come with a 5 foot cable . The cable needs to exit through the floor then loops around to the right side then under the extension housing and onto the left side bracket .

·
Registered
10,338 Posts
You are using the shifter, so go ahead and pull it out for a test fit. Use something else in-place of the cable to check the required length, such as small fuel line or old throttle cable. If it all goes together smoothly without the fuel line making any tight bends or approaching hot exhaust, etc - you're good. If not, find the best routing with your 'hose' or whatever so you know the length to exchange for.
:tup:
David

·
Premium Member
4,459 Posts
With a 3 foot cable you are near going to have to run the cable straight , i don't think there will be enough to loop around nice . Depends i guess how far back you mount the shifter .

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yeah thats kinda the same conclusion i came down to when i measured it with a piece of wire.. i ended up exchanging it for a 5ft cable from summit.. now im playing the waiting game.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts