Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am replacing my 351w with a 351w stroked to a 408 with 520 lbs torque and 500 hp. the engine will be bolted up to a tremec tko 600 5 speed. the rear is 9" with 411's. Will the unibody be able to handle it, or should i provide more support for the frame? The frame is pretty well preserved. thnx John

·
Premium Member
163 Posts
YES! Especially if you're gonna be running slicks. Brand new, the unit body's were not strong. After 40 years and who knows how many thousands of miles and fender benders, reinforcing the unit body is almost mandatory.

·
Registered
802 Posts
Definitely put some frame connectors on that thing.
TKO600 ?! Details of the install?. Pics?!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I havn't done the installation yet. My engine should be here soon and I am ordering the tko from moderndriveline.com . They have tko conversions kits for mustangs and are going to assist me with my torino. I have an automatic that I am converting to the tko 5 speed. Its going to be a project because they do not have all the dimensions for torinos yet. I was told that they are going to develop a torino conversion kit for the tko. A little to late for me, but they are at least working with me. Where would be the best areas to support on the unibody? Your car is very nice. How do I post pics on the site? I am unable to using my pics in my computer. It tells me that the pics are to big or I am using wrong format. The fomat is the one they want , so I can't figure it out. Help. Thnx John.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Dark horse performance advertises a crossmember for the Torino Fairlane body style. According to the owner the shifter will line up near perfect in the trans hump when you use the adapter plate and the long style 26 spline imput shaft TKO. You will have to shorten the driveshaft and change to a C6 yoke.

·
Registered
802 Posts
That would be nice if they had some experience with Torino's specially since they are very close to me. What kind of clutch setup are you wanting to use? Hydraulic? Stock Linkage? Cable?. I host my pics through my ISP but i think you can post pics via this site. Check around the "my account" menu at the top of the page. I can post pics for you if you want.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Probably the hydraulic set up. they do not have a cable conversion yet. they may when they complete their conversion kit. I went to darkhorseperformance.com and they do have a cross member for the tko. I e mailed them to see what other parts they can help me with. I will probably hear from them in a couple of days..modern driveline doesnt have the crossmember yet. whats your e mail? i'll send you a pic of my torino. John

·
Registered
802 Posts
torino at 69torinogt.com
To be honest, i think the crossmember is the least of our concerns since the torinos have alot of adjustability.
i do think darkhorse has one however
thanks

·
Registered
119 Posts
Clutch linkage. You can use the factory Z bar set up, cable conversion or hydraulic. Hydraulic is probably the easiest but most expensive route. The Z bar can be a pain in the A when it comes to header clearance and shear amount of parts needed. The cable is a great set up. The only issue here is nobody has worked on a quadrant for the Torino/Fairlane pedals. I've seen some kits with just a bolt on piece for the cable to attach to the pedal but I would think that would be asking for a lot of pedal effort. I have a factory 4 speed car with an FE and am planning on this swap so I'm sticking with the Z bar set up for now. Starting from scratch it would be a hard call. I do know for a small block you can but a Mcleod scattershield that will allow you to bolt the TKO directly up without an adapter. The scattershield also allows you to use a stock type push clutch fork or the later style cable pull style. I know Modern driveline has probably talked to you about the scattershield.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
modern driveline is setting it up with scattershield and hydraulic kit. I was told that there will be some fabrication on my part for the hydraulics. they didnt have cross member. I am waiting to hear from darkhorse performance to see what they can offer. maybe they have a better kit...thnx for the info on dark horse.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts