Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i didn't understand when I purchased my LTD 18 months ago that it was chopped (I know....). It is a straight car w/ a 390 that runs great, but needs paint and new interior. I have had two 'car guys' tell in the last week I need to cut my losses and get rid of it. I paid 6k, but have put 3k more into it not understanding the situation.
Please don't hammer me for being an idiot, but need some advice. thanks

·
Registered
293 Posts
i didn't understand when I purchased my LTD 18 months ago that it was chopped (I know....). It is a straight car w/ a 390 that runs great, but needs paint and new interior. I have had two 'car guys' tell in the last week I need to cut my losses and get rid of it. I paid 6k, but have put 3k more into it not understanding the situation.
Please don't hammer me for being an idiot, but need some advice. thanks
You're not an idiot, everybody screws up only difference between you and me is you have the guts talk about it.

I always wondered how hard/expensive it would be to "unchop" a car since I've never liked the chopped look on any vehicle I see it done to. If you can cut it down you can build it back up maybe you can find a cheap donor for those type of parts. Anyway that's just me rambling go ahead and post up a pic maybe someone here can offer some good advice.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Can't post pics right now (not at home) but trust me interior is bad. I do know enough to buy door panels, carpet at JC Whitney, etc and save some that way. Problem is top is terrible and I will just have to get a boot made and make it a fair weather car. For it to look decent I will have to put 5k more in it, but if I sell I am without any more $ to get back in the hobby. Dang

·
Premium Member
5,373 Posts
Post it as an attachment.

When you reply to a post, you have the option to insert an image. It's the square icon with the mountain and sun in the bar above.
I'd like to see a pic of the car with the chop.

·
Registered
506 Posts
As a teen, we cut off the roof of a 68 xl, because we wanted a convertible. Maybe you could make a convertible. I have seen the tops for about 300.

·
Registered
147 Posts
As a teen, we cut off the roof of a 68 xl, because we wanted a convertible. Maybe you could make a convertible. I have seen the tops for about 300.
The convertible has a completely different frame and further reinforcements due to the less stable shape of a car with no roof. I would not advise anyone to do this, although many have.

People somewhat frequently salvage the roof from a donor car and weld it on, especially cars that suffered from a moisture trapping vinyl roof. If you find a roof and feel competant squaring it up an welding it, why not?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

trying as hard as I can to figure out how to post an image.........when I select the icon for pics it asks me to post a url. Not sure I understand.

·
Premium Member
3,639 Posts
The convertible has a completely different frame
65 and up don't have a X frame ... but a couple more body mounts, than hard top/ sedan cars....

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just posted on craigslist...$8,500 - I have at least 10k in it. Listed as LTD / Galaxie. I have a couple of pics on the posting. Please let me know what you think. I appreciate all the feedback I've gotten on this post.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
in the pics the car is parked at ASM upholstery for you guys who watch Fast n Loud / Misfit Garage. She told me I brought her junk and it would be too much for have professionally uphol.!!! :)

·
Premium Member
509 Posts
Door panels look like an LTD but the trim doesn't match from what I see. Does the VIN on the firewall match the door plate? Does the car have the cast three piece grill?

·
Premium Member
5,373 Posts
Ok, so the car is not chopped, it has been turned into a convertible.
Chopped usually refers to having the roof cut down and made lower.

I think the car looks pretty good. maybe continue on with it if it doesn't sell.

·
Premium Member
3,639 Posts
I'm no expert....
car look's like a legit convertible to me ...?????
if converted ...side glass.. interior change..etc..etc...... someone sure went thru a awful lot of trouble to make it look like the real deal...
it would be easier and cheaper to buy a convertible, than making one..
the door warranty tag may not be correct...
door may have been swapped in past... and tag may be from donor car..??

1 - 20 of 43 Posts