Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been doing some electrical work on my 64, the 50 year old wiring is interesting. It seems thicker than modern vehicles and is quite stiff and brittle? This and all the random wires under the dash that are disconnected and floating around kind of worry me. Anyone else share this concern?

·
Registered
108 Posts
I probably should worry but I don't. The big Ford in my sig has spent its entire life garaged and the only modifications have been the addition of a tachometer and lights to two mechanical gauges. Last year I took out the 8 track / FM underdash unit a friend and I installed when we were in high school and in that case we merely drew power from one of the fuse box connections...

·
Premium Member
3,336 Posts
anyone with a 65 4 door (maybe later too) needs to check their rear door wiring- someone at ford really screwed up the wiring design- theres a curved 'tube' thing bolted to the center post that just goes thru a hole in the door, the door courtesy lamp wire just lays in it... as the door opens/closes, the wire just folds back and forth at the inside edge of the tube till it breaks.

Ben who owned our 65 since new, told me he always unhooked the battery when parked because it would randomly blow fuses... both rear doors had cut/frayed wires flopping around in them, other than that all the wiring I'd looked at was really in great shape. the car never leaked oil, so all the underhood wiring was pretty supple, and the dashboard was about the only thing I havent pulled out...

past experiences ive had were commonly starter harnesses hard as a rock, usually from oil leaks caking the wires up over the years, and headlamp dimmers burning up under the carpering- these are often corroded just because of wet shoes dampening the carpet around them, had to replace them in my old 69 and 71 fords as the lights would flicker/dim sometimes unless you tapped the dimmer (our 65 still has its original) and one of them had really been HOT from the look of the wiring from what i recall...maybe that was my elcamino? I dunno, cant remember shi* anymore...

old Ben's advice on removing battery terminal for parked cars to minimize risk of fires at least while parked in the garage is probably pretty good... he died in '04, long before the recent cruse control switch garage fire recalls too

·
Registered
128 Posts
I have a lot of old brittle wires as well and even a few wires to nowhere. There was an alarm at one point on the car and I pulled what was leftover. I have a few wires that I am suspicious it can be pulled out, but not sure.
At the end of the day I have no issues electric speaking. All my lights and gauges work. I looked around here and examined mentioned problem areas. Other than that my policy is "if it ain't broke, don't fix it".

·
Registered
111 Posts
I started to have problems, so I pulled every wire out and put new ones in. I found a cpl burned ones..almost done.I used a painless kit.

·
Registered
111 Posts
It was the painless 12 or 14 circuit one. I wanted extra just in case. Not too bad to do, but can be a bit overwhelming....just make sure you take your time and make it look nice because you won't want to go back later and clean it up..

·
Registered
809 Posts
I just rewired a 57 fairlane with a Ron Francis Kit. Was really pretty simple. All the wires were marked, not with a number like some kits but each wire had were it goes written on it. Pretty much had most of it done in one afternoon.

The interior is out of the car which no doubt made it easier.

All the leads were more than long enough, had to cut extra off. Plus had extra leads for electronic ign, third, brake light, ign hot, etc.

Here is link to kit
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/rfw-wr75/overview/

Price was right too.

Lou

·
Registered
15 Posts
It was the painless 12 or 14 circuit one. I wanted extra just in case. Not too bad to do, but can be a bit overwhelming....just make sure you take your time and make it look nice because you won't want to go back later and clean it up..
As simple as our old electrical wiring is, I am going to buy color coded wire and do my '68 myself.

How much did Painless want for their kit?

·
Super Moderator
21,516 Posts
I don't worry bout it unless i've been messing around in the wires like when i replaced a TS bulb and speedo cable. What i thought was a hot wire smell which caused me to toss my fire extinguisher back in the trunk ended up being my new speedo cable on my exhaust. Same ucky plastic smell though. It was aggravating and a relief at the same time.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts