Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for a set of front wheels for my 64 falcon, I have seen a few sets of 4" wheels on ebay and CL but they have all sold for way more than I thought they would (about 80% of new) I am wondering if skinny front tires really make any difference in ET on a 2900lb car with 520hp at the motor?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Skinny front tires on lightweight rims significantly reduce rotating mass and will definitely help your times. When I switched I got a .2 reduction in my 1/8 mile ETs.

You'll have to choose between bias ply skinnies, which are available from several vendors including Hoosier, Mickey Thompson, Goodyear, and M&H but are not DOT rated, and DOT rated radial skinnies, which are less available. (Mickey Thompson makes one.) Bias ply skinnies are much lighter than radial ones.

Don

·
Registered
440 Posts
i was thinking thats what you meant. but just wanted to say what i did, just to make sure people werent hauling ass down the track on ****ty tires

·
Premium Member
2,216 Posts
I have an aftermarket steering wheel which is a smaller diameter than the old original wheel. Also, still running an original manual steering box. The smaller wheels/skinny tires make it easier to turn.

·
Registered
10,457 Posts
That's one of my aluminum spares from a Lincoln Mk8. Also found in other full-sizers like Town Cars, Crown Vic/Marquis, etc. and later years of 5-lug Mustangs. It seems the more expensive the car, the more likely it will have an aluminum spare than a steel one, but you never know. Some wrecking yards pull the spares into a pile, making it easier to go fishing for a pair. Sometimes the aluminum ones are painted black. Either take a magnet with you to sort quickly ( I once forgot mine and ripped a speaker out of a junker for the magnet :D), or feel the weight. The aluminums can be held out at arm's length. Not so with the steelies, unless you are above average strength.

David

·
Premium Member
1,479 Posts
My front tires are 165/80-15's on a 15 x 4.5" wheel. Many tire manufactures make this size and they are fairly inexpensive too. Mine are made by Kumo.

The lighter and less rolling resistance the better. The Cragers on my Falcon are all chromed steel but at 4.5" wide they don't weigh that much. I really appreciate the low rolling resistance of them since I don't have power steering. With these it's not bad at all. :)

John

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.