Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Follow me on this one...

Using a early 289 timing cover with the integral pointer... with a 302 crank and Fluidamper (50oz) the timing marks were 20 deg off, so I had to modify the marks using "timing tape". I assume the marks were off only because that 50oz damper is designed so the marks line up with a late model timing cover and bolt on timing pointer.

Now... with the 331 project.. same block, samle older 289 timing cover, same timing chain, and same Fluidamper: The timing tape is off 20degrees, and the stamped TDC mark in the Fluiddamper line up perfectly with the cast in pointer?

I am thoroughly confused, how can this be?!

I can only speculate that perhaps the additional stroke puts the piston in a different spot, but exactly 20 degrees difference?

help?

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
Stroking a crank should NEVER change the timing marks. Even using a crank sprocket to advance or retard the camshaft should NEVER change the timing marks.

I would go back and recheck TDC with a degree wheel or check to make sure you have the right parts such as damper or the pointer on the TC.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Simple answer - There are a couple of types of balancer/timing covers - you have mixed two different types. Some of the better balancers have both sets of markings on them to accomodate the two different timing covers.

·
Registered
19 Posts
The outer shell, or timming tape, on your dampner could have slipped or the crank key slot was cut wrong. Grab your old crank and compare where the crank key is in relation to the #1 throw.

·
Premium Member
14,758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sorry, I should have posted last night. After a good beer I was able to relax and think about it. A closer look showed that the 28oz hub on the fluidamper has the index pin (for mounting the outer ring with the timing marks) offset so it lines up with the pointer on early timing covers.

The previous motor used the 50oz hub, and Fludamper seems to make the index pin on that hub locate the ring so that it works with late model timing chain cover and pointer.

Yeah, after thinking it through logically...of course there is no reason for the stroker to change the relation of the keyway to TDC.... doh!

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
Hey!!!!!!!....we all have our moments in the sun...*S*......Let's have another beer!!!!!!....it is almost Friday!!!!!

·
Premium Member
111 Posts
You'll also find a good article on the Fluidamper site that shows you how to make sure that your timing marks and your timing pointer are in sync. I used this on my Cleveland and actually found that the outer ring had slipped somehwat, which is why I was going nuts trying to time the beast.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts