Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In 1969, at 16, I had my first car. My dad was Chevy, so I was Chevy. Tha't's the way it was. It was a $100 57 2 door Chevy. All I owned were Chevys. I did get a 69 Roadrunner for $150 but sold it before I would ever drive it. As a teen, it was ALL about your car. You'd never wave to anybody in another make. Today, for me anyway, I still slightly have those thoughts but I have to change every time I take out a car. I have a 67 GTO, 61 Galaxie, and a 60 Plymouth. Honestly, the old cars are fewer and further between, so I usually wave to all. I feel it's more about surviving American steel. Are most of us that use this site, older? Are kids even into the older cars and do they understand the old allegiances?

·
Registered
203 Posts
I think there is plenty o room for brand pride while still paying the other brands their respects. Would we have the same love for our Fords if there were no Bow Ties or Mopars to measure against?

·
Premium Member
3,340 Posts
I'm partial to Ford, but still love the old chargers, challengers,chevelles, elcaminos, GTOs, well, pretty much anything built from the mid 60's to 71 or so...those were the heyday for styling to me, and gotta give a thumbs up or a wave whenever I see a nice one.

I like the new challenger a lot- huge as it is, it carries its size well... Not a fan of the camaros styling at all- mostly due to its ridiculous beltline and goofy trunk, goofy grille/corvette-ish taillights , but glad to see its return, and mostly glad to see folks getting excited about styling again...while I dont care much for the camaro, its a definite stlying exercise that set it apart from its awesome- if plain looking late GTO, a good thing. I really liked the 05 mustang- credit it with rekindling the classic styling trend, although I dont like the quarter windows, slightly downturned headlights and the backup lamps...I still wound up liking it enough to buy 3 of them. the newest mustang I dont like the quarter windows still, and now the side looks 'bland' with the undefined wheel arches...I hated the '10 rearend- still do, the '13 looks much better to me, but still not enough to lure me to the dealer...hope the '15 refresh looks more attractive, but predict Fords moving modern- we'll see...

hope the 'classic inspired' styling continues away from the other choices out there: small/medium/large round roofed 4 door sedans or small/medium asian styling with the 'smeared' looking lights and swoopy creases...would love to see something along the lines of a old Falcon repopped in a new small car, maybe something like a fastback gal or torino for a midsized...classic lines never go out of style. 64 Galaxies, 69 cougars, 57 chevies, 56 F100s, so many others will just never look anything but 'cool'

seems like currently everything but the camaro/challenger/mustang either look like a 2000 taurus or fast and furious 4 banger from half a block away... much as i hate the oft-derogatory 'retro' term, anytthing that brings back bold nameplate based styling is good. Ford needs smacked upside the head about their one-size-fits-all tri-bar grille on cookie cutter S/M/L sized sedans... todays cars are the best ever, but they are all so afraid of styling unique cars its pathetic...so long live the ugly to me camaro, and the mustangs / challengers.

·
Registered
235 Posts
In my area everyone with a classic waves, people at car shows are appreciative no matter what you drive. The only place I see rabid brand partisanship is online. It drives me crazy on the chevy forums when they type f*rd or f__d.

·
Registered
10,342 Posts
Around here, there has been very little brand rivalry for many years, but there has been American vs Import. Even that is fading now, as both sides can have their butts kicked on any given day at the track. Respect has crept into the picture. It seems there is an appreciation among locals that anything of that era is unusual, and they all require the same level of dedication, effort and money. That tends to breed more of a kinship.

Perhaps as we get older - er, become more experienced, we see greater value in things we were arrogant about in our youth. Though, I've never been one for "the attitude", and if we saw one it was just a fun exercise to put them in their place - no matter the brand. We could be cruising a Mopar and have another Mopar guy badmouth, and we'd have to go back to the shop and pull an AMC or road-race Fiat or whatever to teach a lesson. Now THAT was fun.

Heck, when I ride the scooter in the summer, packs of Harleys will rumble by in the other direction, all of them doing the 'low 2-finger' greeting. Ya gotta smile... :)

David

·
Administrator
21,924 Posts
Same in my burg as Rendus but there is a certain nova wagon with a missing headlight that i'd like to spit on next time i see him or give him the 3rd finger salute. He'd probably acknowledge my existence then i bet! Face to face on base at 10-15mph his window down my top down and i waved and he totally ignored me. Maybe he was studying the car to hard trying to figure out what it was but still. He was young enough to be my son, he should respect his elders. At least i'm pretty sure it was a nova but i'll know it if i see it, a bit rough. If i see him at a cruise i'll be sure to let him know i waved. I do understand lighting and glare, sometimes you can't really see the person inside but we were face to face, opposite directions. Maybe he's one of those don't acknowledge the "rivals" type who knows.
But me, i wave to anyone with and old car, trashy or nice. But then look at mine, can't be thumbin my nose at the trashy ones as mine isn't super either. I like to see the beaters too, means they are getting driven and appreciated at least.

Now i'm off to the little car show on 6th ave in tacoma. Beautiful sunny day today!!

·
Premium Member
1,737 Posts
I'm a car guy. Period. Primarily been a old FoMoCo owner with a side of 80s Shelby Dodges. I've owned everything from 5 suicide door Lincolns to a 60 VW Bug to a Plymouth Duster to my current Dodge Daytona & Dodge Rampage. I can appreciate most any car, no matter the brand. I spent more of my life in smaller north Texas towns, and for the most part everyone acknowledges everyone. There are a few of the so called "haters" there, but most of them are the later model F-Body Camaro/Firebird crowd who don't seem to like anything else.

·
Registered
336 Posts
I salute any nice old car, regardless of GM, Mopar or Ford. When I talk to the GM and Mopar guys, I will talk a little good natured smack with them if they appear to be cool....all in fun. Don't talk to the import guys much.,...not buy choice, just don't get many opportunities...

·
Premium Member
1,060 Posts
I'm a FORD man all the way, but I will always give a thumbs up or wave to a nice ride, if they don't acknowledge me then I figure it's there problem. I also ride a bike and acknowledge anyone on another bike, or even to a nice car while on my bike :).

·
Registered
7 Posts
Sure do, in addition to my '70 Galaxie I also have '70 Dodge Polara, a '79 GMC Sierra 1/2 ton 2wd, and 2008 Chevy Impala. As had been already mentioned the biggest rivalry I've noticed is from the import kids, especially from my former friend who is a hardcore Honda guy, first he raced me against my Galaxie, I lost (knew I would, 351w, secondaries not opening, 2.75 rear end with 29 inch tall tires) so then he thought he made this huge accomplishment and would try to bust my [email protected] about it, key word TRY lol. Then just for the heck of it I raced him with my Impala (base model, 3.5 V6) and ran dead even with him, then he started making excuses: he had his girlfriend in the car with him, slowed him down, he was pulling me at around 80-90mph (of course he did, because I let off ;) )

·
Registered
62 Posts
Yeah, definitely. I think there's a sort of instant kinship (even if only in a [literally] passing way) with anyone who loves, maintains and drives the old cars out on the road. Doesn't matter the make and model. If it was made before 1970, it's nice to see it alive and kicking on the road.

I like other makes too, anyway. I'd love to have a '57 Chevy Bel Air or a '69 Plymouth RoadRunner. I love my Galaxie, but if money were no object I'd have at least five or six classics and they wouldn't all be Fords :)

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
Back in 1960, my first two cars were Fords. Then, I went GM up to 1966.

Had some really nice GM cars, 54 Olds 88 "three on the tree"; 57 Olds 98 convert; 57 BelAir 220/pwr/pk, 3 sp Hurst; and a 65 Corvette.

As a Ford employee in 1966, I converted to Ford, and have purchased nothing but Fords except for a short stretch with a used 62 Impala 283.

When I look back at 1964, I had considered buying a new 64 Galaxie 500XL convert, 390/300 4 speed but held off and bought a new 65 Vette instead.

Now, my pride and joy is my 64 Galaxie that I bought used for my wife in 1969.

Maybe I should just have bought the new 64 Galaxie in the first place?

Nah, loved that Vette, but it just wasn't practical for a newlywed couple in 1967.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Not sure if people are lazy, rude, or ?, but I wave to pre-70 cars all the time and just yesterday, I passed a 65 GTO and a late 60s Olds and neither waved back. Wonder if it is a regional thing. I live in the outer suburbs of Philly and it's probably 50/50 if I get a return wave.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Not sure if people are lazy, rude, or ?, but I wave to pre-70 cars all the time and just yesterday, I passed a 65 GTO and a late 60s Olds and neither waved back. Wonder if it is a regional thing. I live in the outer suburbs of Philly and it's probably 50/50 if I get a return wave.
I live in the (NJ) burbs of Philly, and I pretty much always get a wave back.

·
Registered
10,342 Posts
I could be regional, or they were just busy texting... LOL People drive differently around here. My buddy - a firefighter visiting from S. Fla. - couldn't believe it when he watched everyone scatter off the road and stop to clear the road when a fire truck with lights and siren was seen or heard. In his area, lights and siren mean to cut-in ahead or tailgate and flip a bird while at it. I haven't always waved, but not because I wasn't willing to.

David

·
Registered
14 Posts
i guess i can give the "yonger perspective" being 26. I've always felt that brand loyalty was silly. to discredit anything is to limit your own horizons. it would be the same as only being into blondes...you'd miss out on so many redheads haha. or if you were to hate all mopar you would miss the coolness of hearing the firing up a 440 6-pack not to mention throwing that into an demon dart. and then you can't discredit new cars. no matter how afwul of a "car culture movie" the fast and the furious might have been it will never kill the fun you can have whipping a lightweight four cyclinder through a 90 degree turn at 90 mph. and don't even get me on two wheels. such an exhileration to have that much control over a vehicle. I've always loved turning wrenches and pulling every bit of potential out of an engine/vehicle. no matter brand/model.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts