Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,704 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just did a swap with the 289 intake on the mustang and ran into a vacuum leak 2x and then a lot of oil coming out of the pipes. In the end the stock cast iron one was not seating correct. I have just installed an Edlebrock performer 289. Seems to be alright, no leaks and torqued to 18lbs. Now the engine has been brought up to temp 160 and has cooled down. Should I do one more torque setting to 20lbs while it is cooled .

Thanks

Greg

·
Registered
489 Posts
Yes, its a good procedure. I personally re-torque them 3-4 times. I also wait about 1/2 hour between re-torques. John--Las Vegas

·
Premium Member
1,704 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
To be clear , I have torqued the intake 2x. Once to 10lbs then to 18lbs. Ran the engine to 160 degrees. Shut it down. Should the intake be done one more time to 20lbs. This is an aluminum intake. I can't believe how much time and money I have spent on gaskets.

Thanks

Greg

·
Registered
622 Posts
To be clear , I have torqued the intake 2x. Once to 10lbs then to 18lbs. Ran the engine to 160 degrees. Shut it down. Should the intake be done one more time to 20lbs. This is an aluminum intake. I can't believe how much time and money I have spent on gaskets.

Thanks

Greg
i repeated them to spec a couple times after heating the engine up and cooling down. but honestly i only did it "roughly" to spec and made sure not to tighten it too much. that's when it becomes a problem. my car has been running great.

·
Registered
1,786 Posts

Thanks

Greg

My personal experience is yes, and what does it harm to do so? I am not as quite as scientific on the last final 'snug' up. I use a long handled end wrench and just bump em snug with the heel of my hand, and in all the years I've done it this way have never had any problems or vac leaks...

FWIW,

MRO.....

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
Much also depends on the gasket suppliers recommendation(s).

·
Premium Member
1,704 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have used a Felpro prino seal # 1250. I have not checked their site. I know there are different specs for the cast iron vs the aluminum....As well the torque sequence on the Edelbrock site is not the same as the Ford manual on the bolt pattern to tighten them. I followed the Edelbrock torque specs because it was their intake. I have 16 in vacuum at idle and has a slight wiggle. The car is now sending out condensation out the pipes and not white smoke from the oil being sucked into the cylinders. And water. Seems the old cast intake is shot. I think that the machining may have bottomed out the front rails . Oooops :confused: I have picked up another cast intake and may try it one day :) Too cold in the North West to be working on the car ...Brrrrrr

Thanks

Greg

1 - 9 of 9 Posts