Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you really think the 1011-1 can crack the heads?

I just read the instruction on my windsor jr heads and they don't recommend the 1011-1 because this gasket has resulted
in cylinder head cracking.
World recommends the 1011-2. The difference beside the thickness is that the 1011-1 have a Pre-flattened steel wire ring and the 1011-2 have a Pre-flattened copper wire ring.
Did anybody cracked a head with this gasket?

·
Registered
1,627 Posts

The original problem... from what I could tell.... since World Products only makes a blanket statement and will not elaborate any further.....

In the early 90's folks were putting the left and right gasket on with the blue silicone facing up. When someone does this, it means one of the gaskets is on backwards. Even though the gaskets were marked as FRONT, putting a gasket on backwards, means the water did not flow correctly in the head, and would crack the head with the one backwards gasket.

So, as a precaution, they make the blanket statement, don't use those gaskets...

I am using them on my Windsor SR, and have been for 10 years... I now have my third set of 1101-1 on and never had an issue.

Unless somene else has better info then me......I will continue to use them????

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Mikes66 on 12/4/06 7:16pm ]</font>

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Pretty good inside Mike! Thanks

·
Registered
1,211 Posts

I asked local performance engine builder that very question a few years back.

He told me that they have built countless engines with the 1011-1 and world heads, never had a problem

·
Premium Member
2,806 Posts

The old heavily ported iron Windsor Sr heads I had in the 90s both sets were milled .125" + and with the 1011-1 gaskets the rind seals would blow as the decks pushed in on quench pad of the heads on the bottle. Using 1011-2s cured my problems and no more blown heads gaskets but the heads never did crack. This was on 2 seperate sets of Wr Sr heads. One set flat milled .125 and the other set angle milled .125" and heavily ported. I also tried the Fel-Pro wire lock that required a small reciever groove in the heads and it worked slightly better than 1011-1s but not as good as 1011-2s without a groove. Now I use stock replacement head gaskets at $12 each and they hold up fine to 14.5:1 compression for the last 4 years and I currently have .110" angle milled heads but these iron Pro Topline 215s heads have thicker decks as cast to start with. The 1011-2s will hold up great and you will eliminate any possible deck deflection that a thin deck can do if the ring wont compress when the gasket itself does. The copper ring will compress with the rest of the gasket and not distort those thin decks especially with high compression and nitrous on decks that are heavily milled.

·
Registered
1,627 Posts

Hey 89 Coupe..... don't you know dragging your gas tank on the ground in a PINTO is dangerous...(laughs)

·
Premium Member
2,806 Posts

Actually, the sump has hit many times and is pushed up into the tank now and I have 3/8" skid plate on the bottom of the sump and it's almost grond through again (1st one grond through and leaked after 6 or 7 high wheelies one night). It has gone vertical and actually ground the bumper with the license plate wrapped up around the bumper. That happened this year and I was even being careful not to give it too much throttle on launch. The Cal Tracs made it worse but at least now it launches level and goes straight with the front up without veering left or right like it did last year. I got the total vertical all 4 tires off the ground on video
I was not trying to launch it that way, rather trying to figure out how to calm it down with Cal Trac bar and shock adjustments.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: 89 coupe on 12/5/06 11:49pm ]</font>

·
Registered
1,627 Posts

Have that video link???? Looks like there are four off the floor in your still photo as it is.....

Has the oil sump ever gone dry? Great idea bringing the header tubes to the front of the car.

PS... how do you know the car is going straight....? have a hole in the floorboards...? (laughs)

·
Registered
3,233 Posts

You need to bring it out and run with www.popsracing.com in 2007 !! Its a blast.

·
Premium Member
2,806 Posts

On 2006-12-05 12:57, dfree383 wrote:
You need to bring it out and run with http://www.popsracing.com in 2007 !! Its a blast.
I'd love to but I ruptured my disc for the 2nd time this year and I no longer can work as a mechanic. Without the income and being a full time college student in the spring I won't have the funds to run there. I will be lucky to run at South Butler once a month next year (only 30 minutes from me and $15 to race all day long and use little $9.50 gal race gas since it's only 1/10th mile). This sucks as I really do want to run at ESTA and everyone there was friendly those times I went but the trip is long and expensive. This summer I raced at South butler once a month and once at NYIRP and once at Toronto Motorsport Park in Canada and I hurt the car bad there when it came down. I would love to see you come out to South Butler as there aren't enough Fords out there let alone fast ones. I will make it to ESTA at least once next year but I won't know when until the day or two before. I have 3 months to heal before I can start working on the car as the engine needs to be freshened up, rebalanced, take cast pistons out and put in forged, and hopefully a new cam.

I really want to meet you and check your car out, I can't believe I haven't seen you this year anywhere or didn't recognize your car. Do you only run at ESTA? Bob Meader goes to South Butler quite often with or without a car to race I seem to recall. What have you run this year with your new big block combo? Sorry I haven't kept in touch...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts