Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
i bought some longtubes for my car in hopes that they would fit, as they have for another member with some modification. well i tried to put them on today and they did not even come close to fitting and they were so far off from a good fitment that it was not worth my time to rebuild them. so does any actually HAVE headers that fit a 69 galaxie with a 351w. id rather not have people tell me what they think will fit. i need someone that actually has them and has them installed with no fitment issues to tell me which ones they have. i dont want to keep playing order and return games. thanks

p.s. i forgot to mention i dont care if they are shorties or longtubes that you have.

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
What did you buy, and where are they interfering? We have discussed my experience a number of times, so you know what I used and how they fit. There is so much room in that engine bay with the small block that it should be easy to find and make something fit. Like I've said before, you can't expect any long tube header to drop in without any tweaking, or massaging. There are no direct applications for these cars, that I had found, so you'd be extremely lucky to get something that fits with no modification. Provide details, and even pictures, on where the problems are and maybe some can help. Shorties should be much easier because you can bend the pipe however you need to to get to the collector.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well i got the flowtech headers. i knew that they would not line up with the trans xmember and i was prepaired to modify them for that. but they also dont clear my firewall or my engine crossmember.

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
well i got the flowtech headers. i knew that they would not line up with the trans xmember and i was prepaired to modify them for that. but they also dont clear my firewall or my engine crossmember.
I wonder what is so different between your 69 and my 70. You could see in all the previous pictures I posted that the Flowtech 12100's had no issues with the firewall or engine crossmember. The steering linkage is behind the crossmember, so something doesn't sound right there. Hmmm?

Attachments

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
my steering linkage clears just fine. but the pass side header hits the engine crossmember right where it comes out of the motor and the drivers side hits the firewall

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
my steering linkage clears just fine. but the pass side header hits the engine crossmember right where it comes out of the motor and the drivers side hits the firewall
Did you change the engine mounts? Is your engine lower and/or further back than stock?

Attachments

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
the stock engine mounts were destroyed in every possible way so when i put the motor back in the car i bought some from rock auto, i have no idea if the motor sits lower or back compared to stock

·
Registered
186 Posts
I have a 67 with a 351w and am using the falcon shorties from Sanders headers from cali. I had one tube that was too close to one of the spark plugs for my comfort. I took two photos sent it back and it was back in a couple weeks. The nice thing I would have assumed that they would just dimple it and send it back. They did the right thing and redone it. I highly advice you get the ceramic coated. They also come with the attached tubes to connect to your exhaust. hope that helps

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
this is in the descroption

These fit most FORD Full size cars & trucks from 1957 - 1972 with 289, 302 or 351W engines. These are shorty style headers and require 5" of clearance from the engine block to the shock towers.

·
Registered
10,454 Posts
I don't know if they will fit or not, but they are standard 5.0L Mustang headers and dime a dozen. That means you can find a used stock pair for $20 and try them cheap. If they work you can pre-fit the exhaust and drive while waiting for a nice set. If not it's no big loss in shipping or time. Gopher it.

David

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
yea i know someone parting out a 5.0 so im going to call them today and see if they happen to have headers on them. and if so ill testfit them and possibly buy them

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
the 85+ shortys hit the steering stuff? im guessing you mean that they hit the steering box itself? i dont see them going down far enough to hit any of the other steering linkage

·
Registered
84 Posts
No it was a 65 in my case.(although motor is from 71) Ya, the exit for earlier headers is on downpipes between cyl 7/8. Later mod. that I had that didn't fit had exit flange rearward of cyl 8, which was an issue for my cars steering box.
I'm talking about short headers, and with very limited xp. This is my first car project.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
oh ok. im not to familiar with these cars at all actually. so im not to sure how different the 69 and 65 engine bay are. im thinking that mine is probably wider than yours so maybe my steering box sits farther out then yours and it would clear. i dont know though

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
the stock engine mounts were destroyed in every possible way so when i put the motor back in the car i bought some from rock auto, i have no idea if the motor sits lower or back compared to stock
I'm thinking that your motor mounts are different. As you can see from the pictures I posted previously the passenger side front primary tube clears the crossmember and you can clearly see the motor mounts. The second picture is the passenger side header.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
well for future people that do a search. stock 5.0 headers DO NOT FIT. the pass side fits perfectly. the drivers side does not fit at all though. the collector hits the steering box so hard that i cant even get the flange of the header to the heads all the way.

back to the drawing board of trying to find a set of shorties that fit

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.