Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What chassis is it on? I'm considering purchasing one to put my mustangs engine in and restore the mustang back to original. Any help would be glady appreciated.

·
Registered
777 Posts
Depends on what year you are talking about. The later ones were a fox body, the early ones werent. Not sure of when the switch came, but I would guess it was '79.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for that info... I love fox body's and for some reason I was under the impression that they all were... I'm looking at them all tho, they were made from 75 - 83. I gotta see what frame they are on, thank tho

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Granada/Monarch vehicles debut in 1975 and were chassis wise based on Fairlane/Maverick setups. I read somewhere that the wheelbase for 75-80 models were the same as a Maverick but the body are longer in overall length. They had an upper/lower control arm setup in the frt. with the spring/shock assy. on the upper control arm similiar to early Mustangs, that's one reason why disc brake swaps are popular using granada stuff for early mustangs.

75-77 model granada/monarch had single round hdlts. In 78-80 they went to a single retangular hdlt. setup. They were avail. from 75-77 with 200-250 cid 6 cyl. engines or 302-351W V8 engines. In 78-80 they only came with the 250 6 or the 302 V8. Trannies ranged from 3 sp., 3 sp. o/d, 4 sp. manuals to C4 autos, some were pan-fill, others case fill. You could also get one bare-bones or optioned up with every thing possible in the day and they also came in 2 or 4 dr. body styles.

From 81-83 they were based on the fox body setup which I'm not too familiar with. Those of us that are into Granada/Monarch cars feel the 75-80 vintage cars are the real thing. MO.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
hot damn! you know your ****. lol, thanks for shedding light on the subject. I'm looking at a 76 two door granada. It's clean as a whistle, but has a 250 straight 6 in her, what is needed to put a 351 in it?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Also I've been searching the internet for a site about these cars, but I can't seem to find anything useful. If you know a site, let me know. Thanx

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
That year Granada is going to be tight with a 351 in it. The 302's were a pretty tight fit themselves. You might even have to trim the shock towers some for room to change plugs or install headers. Or so my old foggy mind seems to remember.

If I were going to get a body similar to the Granada size var, I would look for one of the later model Fairmonts. They were based on the Fox chassis and will accept a 460 with ease.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I know they did come stock with 351s from 75 - 77. SO I'm not sure how hard it will be to convert it.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I had a 76 with a 302 in it. Mild cam, Holley 600, dual exhaust, C4. It was my "respectable" car (read as "winter bomb&quot
after high school. Man, I loved that car. Stuffed a 351C in it just before I sold it to go into the service.

As I recall it was tight, but definitely a do-able swap and well worth it. That cleveland really woke it up. (No more "winter bomb" - it had traction issues)

What a nice ride.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
I'm at work now but will be back later this evening with more info about swapping a 351W into a granada that had a 6 in.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've done 351W and 460 in a 78 and 79 Fairmont respectivly. Fairmonts are fox body, so all the same Mustange stuff works. Advantage is the Fairmonts have a longer wheelbase.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
On 2002-12-06 03:00, carl86gt wrote:
hot damn! you know your ****. lol, thanks for shedding light on the subject. I'm looking at a 76 two door granada. It's clean as a whistle, but has a 250 straight 6 in her, what is needed to put a 351 in it?
Thanks for the compliment. You're thinking about doing what I went through with my 78 car last winter, mine had a 6 in it too and I've dropped in a 351W engine. My car now is apart as I'm working on stage 2 building a 408W to drop in.

AFA what you need to drop in a 351, not too much but the hard part will be getting the pieces needed for the V8 to go in. If you can find a granada parts car with a 351W V8 with all the pieces it will make the swap a lot easier, that's how I did my swap.

The engine will drop right in since the car came with them at one time. You will have to buy engine mounts for 75-80 granadas with 302/351W engines to put the motor in, however you will also need the steel engine brackets that bolt to the block and attach to these mounts (this will be hard to come by since I believe they are specific only for granadas with V8 engines so you need to look carefully to found these). You will also need all the bracketry to mount the PS pump and alt. and you will need them for V8 applications also (6 cyl. alt. and pumps mount differently and won't bolt up to V8 brackets).

I wouldn't say a 351W is a tight fit in a granada, it's close but you can get at plugs and stuff no harder than in a 5.0L and it has a smaller compartment. AFA headers, no company makes headers anymore that I know of for granadas (whether it's a 302 or 351W) but you can use hooker 6208's in them (made for 351W swaps in 65-70 mustangs). I have them in my granada and you need to dent the firewall a bit on the pass. side and slightly more banging on the driver's side for them to fit without denting the tubes, they actually fit pretty well, depending on the size of pipe you want to run for exhaust you may also need to modify the rear tranny crossmember and frame for the pipes to clear the floor of the car. I had to do this to make room for my 3 in" mandrel bent dual exhaust system.

You have to get a V8 starter and flexplate and T/C (auto, you're on your own if you want a manual, my car has a C4 hooked up behind the engine, again from the parts car, finding it was a headache saver).

To correctly hook up a V8 alt. to a car that had a 6 cyl. in, you will need to lengthen 2 wires to reach the alt. from the plug that used to attach the 6 cyl. alt to it. 6 cyl alt. mounts up high on the driver's side whereas the V8 alt. mounts on the pass. side lower area. Obviously you will have to upgrade your rad to a larger one and your fuel line may need to be changed to a larger one if you are putting an engine in that's making some horses (planning this part of my project now).

BTW, how much is that granada you found? If you feel it's too big of a project perhaps I may be interested in picking up that car. I'm looking to find another one in better shape than mine so I can swap my stuff in it later if my car starts to rot.

That basically it AFAIK, if there's anything else you wanna know, send me an email. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
777 Posts
The granada I raced for several years wasa 76 and originally had a 6 banger in it. A v8 will not drop right in with v8 mounts, the crossmemeber was drastically different. The car I had came with a massively thick crossmember that the stock motor mounts we had wouldnt fit on. We had to make them. Perhaps the mounts we pulled out of a donor car werent the correct ones, but it was a PITA regardless.

I ran a 351C in mine. It fit tight, and was a real bitch to work on. I had to remove the valve covers to get the plug wires on the spark plugs. Hedders werent any fun to get bolted up either. The passenger side was a nightmare. Perhaps a windsor would be easier.

The car I had wasnt real pretty, but worked fantastically at the racetrack. So much so, I won a track championship with it running 6.80's in the 1/8, and around 10.80's in the qrtr. Once I bought my new car, I sold the granada, and the young man who bought it finished in the top 10 with it this past year (it still works great). We figured the extra over hang for the trunk was beneficial as was the fact it had a long nose and that made the "cab" area set back farther than most cars.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
"The granada I raced for several years was a 76 and originally had a 6 banger in it. A v8 will not drop right in with v8 mounts, the crossmemeber was drastically different. The car I had came with a massively thick crossmember that the stock motor mounts we had wouldnt fit on. We had to make them. Perhaps the mounts we pulled out of a donor car werent the correct ones, but it was a PITA regardless."

Hey KV, I didn't think the frt. crossmember would be different between a 75-80 model granada/monarch. They share a common frt. x/member and only the mounts are different to accommodate whatever engine came with them from the factory. My 351W engine out of my 77 parts car dropped right into my 78 car without any mods once I switched the mounts to V8 ones. Maybe a Cleveland mounts up differently or something but a Windsor drops right in, again you have to have the right mounts (especially those metal ones that are hard to find to bolt up the engine to the V8 granada mounts).

For me, finding the parts car when I did made this swap a WHOLE lot easier. I would've got pissed off fast looking for stupid things to make this swap work.

·
Registered
777 Posts
I stand corrected then. The motor mounts we had must not have been the right ones. We looked at a couple of them in the junkyard, and the crossmembers looked different, but, at that time I could have been looking at fox bodied cars and not realized it (that was almost 10 years ago and I was young and didnt know much. Now I'm old, and cant remember what I used to know.).

·
Registered
1 Posts
Granada/Monarch vehicles debut in 1975 and were chassis wise based on Fairlane/Maverick setups. I read somewhere that the wheelbase for 75-80 models were the same as a Maverick but the body are longer in overall length. They had an upper/lower control arm setup in the frt. with the spring/shock assy. on the upper control arm similiar to early Mustangs, that's one reason why disc brake swaps are popular using granada stuff for early mustangs.

75-77 model granada/monarch had single round hdlts. In 78-80 they went to a single retangular hdlt. setup. They were avail. from 75-77 with 200-250 cid 6 cyl. engines or 302-351W V8 engines. In 78-80 they only came with the 250 6 or the 302 V8. Trannies ranged from 3 sp., 3 sp. o/d, 4 sp. manuals to C4 autos, some were pan-fill, others case fill. You could also get one bare-bones or optioned up with every thing possible in the day and they also came in 2 or 4 dr. body styles.

From 81-83 they were based on the fox body setup which I'm not too familiar with. Those of us that are into Granada/Monarch cars feel the 75-80 vintage cars are the real thing. MO.
I own a 1980 granada its my project car im fixing to do the 302 swap as it came with the inline six i was wondering what transmission i would need to look for and also if i would need to replace parts on the rear end die to the fact im going to have alot more torque

·
Registered
1 Posts
I own a 1980 granada its my project car im fixing to do the 302 swap as it came with the inline six i was wondering what transmission i would need to look for and also if i would need to replace parts on the rear end die to the fact im going to have alot more torque
Check out my youtube for a few ideas on a 302 swap from inline 6 .<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

1 - 17 of 17 Posts