Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Water temp one is the sender I am most interested in. I was just hoping someone had the numbers so I didn't have to borrow an ohm meter.

Also in case anyone has experience with this, basically I want to purchase a higher temp range sender (like oil) to use with my existing stock temp gauge in my 70 mustang since I have a new water temp gauge installed elsewhere.

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
How are you supposed to measure the resistance of the senders? After all, the resistance (ohms) of the temp sender changes at different temperatures, and the pressure sender's resistance changes at different pressures. Maybe you're just supposed to measure them at zero pressure and normal outside temperature (around 70 degrees)?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well if I had to measure it, of course the first measurement would be when the engine was cold. Then I would measure the temp when the engine was at normal operating temperature. Knowing that the cold measurement is one end of the scale and the normal operating temp is roughly the middle, I would have to guess at the top end of the scale since I am not going to overheat my engine on purpose. Of course I could remove the sender and heat it to its max another way (oven, boiling oil, etc) and test the ohms to get the upper value.

Of course if this is listed somewhere it's a lot easier to ask you all.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts