Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 64 Galaxie and decided to put a 380 rear end in and get rid of the 350 I have. Well, upon opening up the 49 year old case i found this inside.
Now I am a novice mechanic, but I don't think this stuff belongs in any rear end ! Well, I cleaned out the alien gunk and put the new gears in but I think my axles are shot...What do you folks think ??? The splines are thin looking to me...

Attachments

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Sure looks bad... but I think I'd clean it all up with some gasoline or thinner before condemning anything.

Most rear failures I see are either neglect, dirt getting into the vent line (it isn't that hard to hook up a lil filter), or improper install. What I mean by the last, is I've seen some folks replace the pinion oil seal and not replace the crush washer or tighten enough. This leaves the pinion gear a lil loose and it gets crunchier over time.

good talking to ya today!
Drew

·
Premium Member
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Same here Drew !! Thanks for your help !
There was a weighted collar on my old yolk,so when I took my old yolk off and put it on my new 380 rear end, I left the weighted collar on,is that an OK move or what is the reason for the weight behind the yolk ? This collar is about 3 inches long and lays between the yolk and the case.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
I've only ever seen that on 63-64 Galaxies. I asked this question myself bout a year ago.

Apparently it's a driveline balancer of some sort. Makes sense, and seems like a good idea, but not knowing how to balance it does make me wonder how to install it properly. I'd think you'd need to balance the driveshaft with it on the end, but I dunno the specifics.

·
Administrator
21,676 Posts
JC will probably pop in here and tell you all about it. If i remember right his was found under the seat or something and wasn't on the car. Don't remember now if he has a separate caper thread for that one or not.

·
Registered
7,376 Posts
JC will probably pop in here and tell you all about it.
Hey Mon Deb,
Am afraid that I don't know all that much about this item.

If i remember right his was found under the seat or something and wasn't on the car.
You are right about it having been found UNDER the rear seat.

Don't remember now if he has a separate caper thread for that one or not.
Didn't address it on its own thread. And don't remember where it got mentioned.

From what is surmised, it is some kind of "harmonic balancer" that apparently goes just ahead of the Differential Universal Joint. What it does and how it does it is a mystery. How it got taken off the Drive Shaft and put under the back seat is also a mystery.

From what can be ascertained, Ms. American does just fine without it being installed, but then again, you all know how gently the old Gal is treated. Would imagine that if the 3.14 were spending a LOT of time above 90 MPH that it might make some kind of difference, but down around 30 to 40 MPH where the 3.14 spends most of her time, it probably doesn't make a difference either way.

JC

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Doesnt look to me like it would be for actual balance if its located where it is, but I would bet its for canceling out harmonics in the drive shaft... Just a W.A.G.

·
Registered
10,315 Posts
Doesnt look to me like it would be for actual balance if its located where it is, but I would bet its for canceling out harmonics in the drive shaft... Just a W.A.G.
+1. It's a harmonic damper. That specific driveshaft in that specific length/diameter/material and often certain gear ratios sets-up a torsional vibration at certain speeds. The damper stops the harmonics. Actually, the harmonics are still there, but moved to a different speed where you generally don't drive it.

Ford used several different harmonic damper designs, some right on the shaft, or weighted arms attached to the trans tailshaft housing, tube-in-tube driveshafts, etc.

David

1 - 9 of 9 Posts