Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
when i first get in it to drive it fires right up but once it gets warm and i shut it off (or it dies) it cranks and crank and cranks forever it seems like be fore it will fire......but if i park it and let if cool down it will fire right up??? the motor in my sig is the one im talkin about

·
Registered
194 Posts
Had one that did that quite a bit, the carb/intake was gettin hot, not overheating but with headers it gets hot under there, opened up the hood scoop to let the hot air out and it pretty much cured that.

·
Registered
18 Posts
areyour running a mechanical fuel pump or electric fuel pump also headers in summer heat like to boil fuel sometimes before it reaches the carb /motor

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Same thing happens to me. Not the starter... it cranks strong when the engine is cold or hot. I just found if I hold the gas down about half way it starts pretty easily.

·
Registered
91 Posts
People told me it was gas boiling also, but since I put the petronix in my 390, it starts everytime Quick!

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
I have a funny feeling that your coil is getting heat saturated.?? Just a stab in the dark really, i have no evidence to back this up. But My thought is that your getting too weak a spark to light it off when its hot.
Like ODU22 said he upgraded the ignition and BAM it works well all the time. Although i was thinking of an igniton box like an CRANE HI6 (my fav) Or an MSD 6al mounted inside the passenger compartment away
from the heat. Also an upgraded coil and mount the coil on the fenderwell away from direct engine heat AND vibration.
Hope this has helped. Good luck

1 - 8 of 8 Posts