Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everybody, new member here. This is my first of many posts. I've used this forum for info in the past and thought it was time to join. Anyway, enough about me, I have a 1967 Galaxie with drum/drum manual brakes. I've been looking for a donor car for a power disk brake conversion. I found 2 cars but I don't know which is an easier or should I say better swap. The first is a 1968 T-bird and the other is a 1969 LTD. Will any of these work or should I keep looking. I've seen lots of posts on this topic but havent seen these 2 cars listed as donors. Does anybody have a list of donor cars for this swap? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
981 Posts
The cars mentioned, but also t-birds of the late 70's, torinos of the mid to late 70's, I think the 78 t-bird is most common, at least for the 64, don't think it's different from the 67. If the cars you have are right there, use them. They should be the same as any other and given the size bieng the same, should stop your car pretty easy.

·
Registered
4,589 Posts
LTD would be my choice.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: wildosvt01 on 4/3/06 2:39am ]</font>

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The thing with the donor cars is the 68 T-bird is a complete car for sale locally, the LTD is about 100 miles away and is only the parts I need for the same price. So if the T-bird works just as well as the LTD, I'll go with the T-bird. I don't plan on doing any major mods to the car (yet). I just want a safer brake system than manual drum/drum.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Hollander Interchange Manual says they are the same.

Rotors: (C8AZ-1102-A)
Ford Pass ‘68
Lincoln Mark III ‘68
Merc ‘68
T-bird ‘68

Calipers: (C8AZ-2B120-A & 1A - R&L)
Ford Pass ‘68 - 72
Lincoln Mark III ‘68 - 69
Lincoln ‘70 - 71
Merc ‘68 - 72
T-bird ‘68 - 71

Spindles: (C8SZ-3105-A & 6A - R&L)
Ford Pass ‘68
Lincoln Mark III ‘68
Merc ‘68
T-bird ‘68

·
Registered
112 Posts
The 68 t-bird and 68 ltd use the same brakes.66 and 67 galaxies had different calipers. Use the spindle off the 68 t-bird the porportioning valve and power boaster with the master cylinder it is a bolt on. In 1969 they just use a diffrent spindle and disc.The calipers are the same.Discs are hard to find for 1968 fords they where p/n 5400 in the Amico ITT catalog .Or you may look for 1970-72 ford spindles and use the disc p/n 5405 .These are more readly available.Don't forget get the porportioning valve you will need it.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well I got a better deal. A friend of my wifes has a 73 T-bird that has been sitting in he back yard for a few years now. She told me I can have anything I want off the car. Can't beat that. So if this car works for the swap I'm going that way.

·
Registered
822 Posts
I don't remember, but didn't '73 use the big bolt pattern wheels (5 on 5) or was it '74 they changed...?

I used the ones from a '71 LTD wagon on the XL.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
OK, how about this. The same person with the 73 T-bird has a 75 Continental with 4-wheel disk. I took a look at the rear and it looks pretty much the same, but as we know looks can be decieving. Will this car work as a donor for a 4-wheel disk setup. Can I swap out he whole rear end with mine? Will the front spindles/knuckles swap over? I started getting all excited at the thought of a free 4-wheel disk setup. One of the guys at work says it should be an easy swap, what do you guys think. If it does swap I'll be getting everything this weekend. Then I'll let you know how it all goes

1 - 10 of 10 Posts