Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Pulled the skin off my Driver door. There was obvious rust in the bottom corners of the skin. Figured same inside as I saw pitting and some holes in the bottom of the frame or shell.

The door is actually very solid, except that front corner where the hing and corner brace are.

Cant find a patch panel to replace the corner, wonderng how tough this is gonna be, as its a long radius, AND on the 67 68 there is a bevel or step there where the door fits up into the jam. So fabricating this could be tricky.
Any hints or tricks based on experience? You know the difference, knowldege is gained from reading the manuals and research. Experience is gained from just jumping in and doing it, a couple of times. I have lots of experience now, need some knowledge.:eek:

I think someone ArnoldTX or some thread said they had to do this.

·
Registered
5,017 Posts
Cut out the rust and replace the metal in small manageable pieces:

The whole lower front corner was built from scratch. I made 4 pieces for this repair. It was actually kind of fun to figure out and do.

·
Premium Member
2,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Perfect Dennis, once again, validated my in experience, now I have knowledge. Sorry FE, I owe you a cup.

·
Premium Member
2,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
LOL, Dennis did it right, but I like using material form old doors to maintain as much of the panel grain as possible, I hate trying to duplicate it in bondo...
Hah, if some goober is under my open door wanking about "you dont have the original grain down here", I may just shut that door - quickly!:rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
2,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
And thats the way I would prefer to do it, easier - cut and replace, match the grain - because I can!

No luck finding a crunched shell that doesnt have the same cancer.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts