Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anybody have any experience with setting the door gaps? Bottom corner of both doors are hitting and large gap at top. Spent four hours just trying to adjust passenger door. Got the body line to look good but larger gap at top and zero gap at bottom. This is very frustrating!

Co-worker said he remembers having to shim body mounts (55 Chevy) to get his gaps perfect. Also said to look and see if there are torque specs on body mounts. Said since i had body off frame and using solid body mounts now these could all effect the issue.

I'm not looking to make a 100pts car but would like to shut door with confindence.

Also haveing troubles with one door not latching?

THANKS
Kevin

·
Registered
809 Posts
Does anybody have any experience with setting the door gaps? Bottom corner of both doors are hitting and large gap at top. Spent four hours just trying to adjust passenger door. Got the body line to look good but larger gap at top and zero gap at bottom. This is very frustrating!

Co-worker said he remembers having to shim body mounts (55 Chevy) to get his gaps perfect. Also said to look and see if there are torque specs on body mounts. Said since i had body off frame and using solid body mounts now these could all effect the issue.

I'm not looking to make a 100pts car but would like to shut door with confindence.

Also haveing troubles with one door not latching?

THANKS
Kevin
First thing to check are hinges OK? If hinges have play it will be ALOT harder to line up doors maybe impossible if hinges have lot of play.

Is gap in/out or front/back?

If it is in/out, top of door sticking out, bottom of door to far in, then adjust where the hinges attach to door. Top hinge loosen and move top of door in. bottom hinge loosen and bring door out.

If front/back, top of door gap big, bottom of door gap small. Adjust where hinges attatch to body. Loosen top hinge and move rearward. or loosen bottom hinge and move foward, or combination of both.

Shims come into play after you run out of adjustment, and aren't needed very often on doors. in my experiance.

Do you have the door weatherstripping on car? Is it new or old?

Pictures would be cool and easier to help you out

Hope it helps

Lou

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
First thing to check are hinges OK? If hinges have play it will be ALOT harder to line up doors maybe impossible if hinges have lot of play.I would say hinges have no play.

Is gap in/out or front/back? Not sure exatly between these two, but the door is flush and body lines match, just have a large gap between door and body at top by handle and gets so small that the corner of door hits at body

If it is in/out, top of door sticking out, bottom of door to far in, then adjust where the hinges attach to door. Top hinge loosen and move top of door in. bottom hinge loosen and bring door out.

If front/back, top of door gap big, bottom of door gap small. Adjust where hinges attatch to body. Loosen top hinge and move rearward. or loosen bottom hinge and move foward, or combination of both.

Shims come into play after you run out of adjustment, and aren't needed very often on doors. in my experiance.

Do you have the door weatherstripping on car? Is it new or old?No weather stripping on yet and we took striker off to help get alignment and gap first?

Pictures would be cool and easier to help you out

Hope it helps

Lou
Lou,

This is an older picture from the day i got it, but gap is simmiliar if not worse than this. I could tell from going through these pics that the gap is almost the same.

Kevin

Attachments

·
Registered
688 Posts
I see you said you had the body off and put solid mounts.
How are you supporting the car now? Are the hinges new or at least in great shape? You are really better off starting with the body supported by the suspension I spent 2 days getting the door/fender/hood gaps where I wanted them on the PYL when I did the front end swap just to have every one move when I took it off of the jack stands I was supporting the frame with the stands should have had them under the rear end and lower control arms.

·
Registered
809 Posts
Lou,

This is an older picture from the day i got it, but gap is simmiliar if not worse than this. I could tell from going through these pics that the gap is almost the same.

Kevin
Kevin

I would move the lower hinge foward where it mounts to body and move the upper one back. Try like a 1/8 inch each to start and see what happens.
And I would leave the striker of till you get gaps where you want them.
Also like 5.0 said do the adjustments with car on wheels/tires or with stands under rear axle and front lower control arms.

Lou

1 - 5 of 5 Posts