Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, can someone please give me advice on door hinge repair.I did search of forum came up with very little.I read that you have to cut pins to get out? is that right ? its easy enough to do.I was going to buy kit from dearborn with pins and bushing. hinges look real good but drivers side drops almost 1" when opening.Thanks don

·
Registered
130 Posts
Hi Don, I'm not sure if a 69 Cougar has the same type of hinge or is close to a 69 Torino but here is a youtube for ya.

I watched it and it is possible to do, I tried to rebuild Cavalier door hinges one time what a waste of time.

I ended up going to a junk yard to find a nice used pair.

here it is:

Door Hinge Rebuild - 1969 Cougar - YouTube

·
Registered
130 Posts
One additional thing:
I read somewhere that if you drill a hole through both hinge halves with say a 1/8" drill bit before completely removing the hinge from the door and hinge post you can use these holes to reposition the door to the factory location. You might need two per hinge half.

Is this something anyone has done?

·
Registered
809 Posts
One additional thing:
I read somewhere that if you drill a hole through both hinge halves with say a 1/8" drill bit before completely removing the hinge from the door and hinge post you can use these holes to reposition the door to the factory location. You might need two per hinge half.

Is this something anyone has done?

I have done this many times. Mostly when just R&Ring doors to jam or repair post. Also when doing hinges. When rebuilding/replacing hinges sometimes you may have to re-adjust a little because of the new bushing/pins. but not always, and even then it gets you close. And you do need 2 holes per side

Lou

1 - 6 of 6 Posts