Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased a hinge repair kit for my 66 Fairlane. The fenders are off the car so I have easy access now. What I'm wondering is if I can remove and repair one hinge at a time if I keep the door latched? Is this ill-advised?

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So far, so good. I pulled and repaired the upper hinge. The lower hinge may be more difficult as it is much heavier and so bears more weight. That's a task for another day. Gotta wait for the paint to dry on my restored hinge...and maybe get some new bolts. Or clean them up.

·
Premium Member
1,479 Posts
So far, so good. I pulled and repaired the upper hinge. The lower hinge may be more difficult as it is much heavier and so bears more weight. That's a task for another day. Gotta wait for the paint to dry on my restored hinge...and maybe get some new bolts. Or clean them up.

If it's anything like my Falcon you just push out the pins and pull the door off. It's easier to replace the bushings, etc. with everything out of the way and it's easy to do. Unbolting may get your doors out of alignment and they aren't easy to fix.

John

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Actually, the alignment held pretty well removing one hinge at a time. The rear quarter was replaced a some point in the past so the door alignment is sub-optimal anyway.

·
Premium Member
70 Posts
always repaired or replaced the hinges one at a time...keeps door alignment close as you have seen. and you can match up the marks on the pillars and door with the new or repaired ones. helps to have a helper or a floor jack and a block of wood...also helps to tape off where you may accidentally let the door move a bit and "tap"on the fenders. if the alignment is close and needs a tweak...block of wood between the door and pillar and slowly push the door shut on the block to gingerly adjust accordingly. scrib lines on the pillar or door where the old hinge was, also will help. sorry to hijack if i did :nerd:
-mike

Reactions: Leeman50

·
Registered
1 Posts
always repaired or replaced the hinges one at a time...keeps door alignment close as you have seen. and you can match up the marks on the pillars and door with the new or repaired ones. helps to have a helper or a floor jack and a block of wood...also helps to tape off where you may accidentally let the door move a bit and "tap"on the fenders. if the alignment is close and needs a tweak...block of wood between the door and pillar and slowly push the door shut on the block to gingerly adjust accordingly. scrib lines on the pillar or door where the old hinge was, also will help. sorry to hijack if i did 🤓
-mike
Thanks for the suggestions. Super helpful as I’m getting ready to repair my 64 Falcon drivers side hinge.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts