Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why Ford used it I'll never know. Is there any product yall are using to clean it? The wifes 63 futura convertible panels are holding up pretty good, but I'm afraid to rub on the Mylar stuff. I've seen them pretty messed up and would like to keep these as nice as possible. I've seen some that look like peeling tin foil. Please advise and thanks in advance. BamaBrown.

·
Registered
734 Posts
Not much you can do, other than wipe gently with a soft cloth and a mild cleaner/soap.

Mylar coated plastic doesn't age well, esp in sunlight.

There are, or were, places that can restore Mylar "chrome".
Obviously you send the part to them, and they strip the old and then re-do the Vacuum Metalizing process.
Could be expensive... I don't know, never had it done.

I've seen guys sand the old off and paint with "aluminum" or "chrome" spray paint.
Doesn't look right, but can make an ugly piece presentable.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks man. I had a 63 Sprint hardtop a while back...yea I know I shoulda kept it....anyway I had the door panels recovered in dissimilar cloth but kept the original stitching. Turned out nice. This is my wifes car and she is trying to keep it as close to orig as possible. New panels are available as you prolly know, but I hate to go back with that crap, orig or not. Thanks for the description of the application. Never too old to learn a thing or two. BamaBrown.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts