Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, all,

I'm having trouble with the door locks on my '63. The locks won't push down on the doors, and I can't even lock them from the outside with the key. I've had both door panels off and have greased all the moving parts, to no avail.

Any ideas?

Also, the spring on one of the interior door handles is broken. Does anyone know where I can get a new one?

Thanks!

·
Registered
3,572 Posts
On my 64 I removed the entire latch mechanisms and poured oil into every pivot and made sure all the springs there and free. I operated the lock and the latch levers until they were completely free moving. Just greasing the rods and bell cranks won't fix it if the latches are sticking and you need to get them freed up manually to let the oil work its magic. The latches are quite complicated beasts one sticking lever will gum up the works.

·
Registered
3,572 Posts
The lock/latch mechanism are bolted to the door with three very large countersunk phillips heads screws. These may be very tight so some penetrant would help. Unclip the rods and bobs yer uncle

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
CaptVirgilHilts, thanks, but I was actually referring to the key mechanism. I'm also having trouble releasing the rods from the plastic bushings. Any secret techniques or tools that I need to know about?

Thanks

·
Administrator
21,922 Posts
I haven't had mine off but think there is a clip that just slides over it from the back side. As for the bushings, those aren't the type that the rod has to be turned a certain way so that a little metal nub or tab on the end of the rod can pass through is it?

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks, ShotRod. I took the clip off earlier tonight. Those bushings may be the type you're talking about. I'll play with them some more and let you know how things turn out.

Ford40-one of my rods also looks a little bent. I'll check that out once I take a look at the locks, because I'm pretty sure that's what's causing most of the trouble.

·
Administrator
21,922 Posts
If, since you are in there already, you have to push your door button way in to get the door to open you can adjust that also by unclipping and screwing a rod in so it's shorter. Mine didn't open at all from the outside for years and i finally decided to investigate. Easy fix.

·
Registered
3,572 Posts
The lock cylinders are held in by a springy C clip. You just need to drive it off with screwdriver and a good thump of your palm. The rod clips snap off the rod and turn away from the rod to release the rod. They can be quite tight often so a small flat screwdriver to pry them off is often needed. You should consider getting a shop manual for your car as they have good diagrams of all the procedures mentioned.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.