Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
1964 Galaxie Convertible
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wanted to upgrade my alternator to a 3G. I researched the appropriate alternators. The plan was to run two "v" belts on the 3G alternator to compensate for the extra load of the newer alternator. I purchased a 2 "v" billet pulley and a billet 2 "v" alternator pulley om Ebay. Here are the issues:

1) I hate billet. But I couldn't find anything else.
2) The water pump pulley is an under drive pulley. (This is why you don't drink and amazon shop)
3) The billet alternator pulley weighs about 5 lbs. (see comment about amazon shopping in #2 above)

Did Ford produce a 2 V water pump and alternator pulley for the FE 390? Please let me know. Part number, year, whatever. I cannot find one, but I have seen pictures of Fords with this set up.
Thanks!

·
Registered
621 Posts
My 69 Merc Cyclone 428CJ came factory with double sheave pulleys on the water pump and alternator.
Triple on the crank and the 3rd one was for the P/S pump.
I think most 428CJ's came with that setup.

I have also seen double W/P and alt pulleys on some trucks.
Sorry I don't have part numbers.

·
Premium Member
1964 Galaxie Convertible
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the quick response! This is very helpful.
As to my comment about "hating billet", I don't actually hate it. I've just never owned a car that it would look appropriate on. So hopefully no offense was taken by any folks that have nice and shiny engine bays! That's another level from where I am.
Have a great weekend y'all, and don't forget to honor our fallen soldiers! So many have paid the price for our freedom.

Best to you always - Smithwick's

1 - 5 of 5 Posts