Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. Well, its been a very long time since I have been here discussing my Gals. Finally, after over a year, I drove my 1960 home from the mechanics shop. Engine seems to run smooth and is quiet.

All my other gals are 1966 or newer, and so don't have draft tubes. My question is should there be anything coming out of the draft tube?

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,975 Posts
It is normal for it to puff out smoke and it will have some moisture come out if it has sat for a while. What you should be seeing are crankcase gases.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Whew! Thanks. Sounds like its normal then. Today marked the first time this thing has run probably since the 1970's. Now with a 390 instead of the 352, it seemed to run fine coming down the streets of Oakland for the 20 miles to San Leandro. I didn't take it on the freeway because the tires are questionable....

·
Registered
201 Posts
What you don't want to see is lots of fumes and oil smoke coming out of the draft tube when the car has been run for awhile and then sits at idle. I had a friend with a '55 Buick and it did that because the rings were getting worn. If the car has sat for some time it will be strange for 500 miles or so until things get settled in.

·
Registered
105 Posts
here is how I converted from draftpipe system to PCV sucking system.

There is always some blow-by gasses coming to crank case, this system sucks those back to combustion chambers, less sludge to crank case !

carb adapter plate is from 1962 galaxie, pcv valve is ebay found.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
34,855 Posts
That's AWESOME as long as you have an ingress for fresh air, like a breather car in a valve cover.

Drawing air out the vent tube right there and bringing fresh air IN on the Front of the manifold where the oil tube is, does NOT ventilate the crank case nor the valve covers as one would like to think.

The best direction is in one VC down into the crank case and out the other air cleaner., that's how a truly efficient PCV should be setup. Not saying yours won't work, in fact yours would be great with a tight cap on the oil fill and a breather on each VC to make it all copacetic. Otherwise there is never any fresh air drawn into the valve covers and the acidic atmosphere remains there.

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
That's AWESOME as long as you have an ingress for fresh air, like a breather car in a valve cover.

Drawing air out the vent tube right there and bringing fresh air IN on the Front of the manifold where the oil tube is, does NOT ventilate the crank case nor the valve covers as one would like to think.
FE, FOMOCO did exactly that from 1961 (CA) TO 1964. It seemed to work for them.

The best direction is in one VC down into the crank case and out the other air cleaner., that's how a truly efficient PCV should be setup. Not saying yours won't work, in fact yours would be great with a tight cap on the oil fill and a breather on each VC to make it all copacetic. Otherwise there is never any fresh air drawn into the valve covers and the acidic atmosphere remains there.

·
Premium Member
34,855 Posts
Kult, that Group 8 diagram (California emissions I'd bet), does NOT evacuate the valve covers. and it's hardly a proficient system which is WHY they only had it a few years. and MANY MANY MANY vehicles DID NOT have that system, they had a mesh filtered oil filler cap and a road draft tube that essentially only drew vacuum on the engine while moving at a good clip down the road.

I put PCV systems on all the Y blocks and early FE's I work on if I can convince the owners of the engine savings they get from it. And drawing all that acidic air from teh VC's is very important to me.

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
Kult, that Group 8 diagram (California emissions I'd bet), does NOT evacuate the valve covers. and it's hardly a proficient system which is WHY they only had it a few years. and MANY MANY MANY vehicles DID NOT have that system, they had a mesh filtered oil filler cap and a road draft tube that essentially only drew vacuum on the engine while moving at a good clip down the road.
FE, the PCV systems creates a partial vacuum within the engine. That vacuum is what ventilates the entire engine, top of the heads included.

Look closer at the illustration and note the arrows. There are no Indians so look closely.

Road draft worked (also at idle) but was not as efficient. Everyone knows a properly designed and maintained PCV system is paramount to proper engine performance.

I would cringe at the thought of anyone cutting holes in early FE rocker covers except for racing applications.

·
Premium Member
34,855 Posts
Kul, that illustration is incorrect.

The trapped air around the rockers has NO FLOW. the illustration draws at one point and through the valley to the exit, there is no recirculation route to create a flow mix situation in the VC's, which is why this way was NOT used in later models, it was drastically improved upon. THAT is why there is the ugly holes in the later model valve covers. If the other way was better, or even proficient, the original VC's would be on every car you see because they simply look much better! And boy did I ever LOVE the old Mercury FE covers, they simply ruled over FORD plain letters any day :)

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
:frown:

...why me?

·
Registered
201 Posts
I obtained the entire factory PCV setup from a vintage Thunderbird store for $100. The factory PCV valve screws apart for cleaning. The intake is different for a PCV car than a non PCV car in 62, as there is a casting on the manifold for the ear on the back of the carb spacer where the PCV nipple sticks out. On 62s the system is not a true closed system, the breather cap is open, not closed with a hose to the air cleaner. Still it's much cleaner and better than the road draft tube system.

·
Premium Member
34,855 Posts
YOU PINHEAD Kul!!! LOL, please tell me how a very small flow that goes straight from one point to another causes Circulation in the valve covers, and if it's SO damn good, WHY they only used that style (Woop woop woop woop wopan Gangnam style) for so short a time????

The illustration is 1960's supposition, and not correct!

That oil fill tube goes straight from the timing chain to the BACK of the intake, and DOES NOT create any flow in the upper areas of the head because there IS NO DRAW POINT!

Use your head man!

The AIR is going down the filler tube then straight across the valley floor and out the PCV and INTO the carb base. But nowhere does the engine let air into the upper extremities thus the system is a poor one at best!

·
Premium Member
3,669 Posts
LOL....
yeah ..he just can't wrap his head around some of the simplest logic...:eek:
other things No problem....
no thinking outside the box......:D

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
YOU PINHEAD Kul!!! LOL, please tell me how a very small flow that goes straight from one point to another causes Circulation in the valve covers, and if it's SO damn good, WHY they only used that style (Woop woop woop woop wopan Gangnam style) for so short a time????

The illustration is 1960's supposition, and not correct!

That oil fill tube goes straight from the timing chain to the BACK of the intake, and DOES NOT create any flow in the upper areas of the head because there IS NO DRAW POINT!

Use your head man!

The AIR is going down the filler tube then straight across the valley floor and out the PCV and INTO the carb base. But nowhere does the engine let air into the upper extremities thus the system is a poor one at best!
FE... You have no imagination or the means to understand simple logic.

I mentioned the word VACUUM, partial vacuum to be exact. There is no direct airflow in a PCV system. All air movement is created by a vacuum source. Now think really hard (I know, it is difficult) but how would that partial vacuum ventilate the top of the heads?

The system is correct. This same basic design was used on the non-HP engines of the period and HP, though there are a few detail differences..

BTW- For those that are technically challenged (sit up FE so this won't zip over your head). There are two basic PCV designs, OPEN and CLOSED. This (system being discussed) is an open design that draws outside air through a filtered oil filler cap. It also allows engine fumes to be exhausted into the atmosphere. A system that draws outside air through the air cleaner is a closed system. It does not allow engine fumes to be exhausted but are returned to the combustion chambers via the carb.

His system is correct. Just because you missed so many courses in tech school does not change that fact.

The main reason the design was changed on the 1965 model run was cost and simplicity.

·
Premium Member
3,669 Posts
BTW- For those that are technically challenged (sit up FE so this won't zip over your head). .
LOL....look who's talking.....

Time to put the shields up......:D

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
LOL....look who's talking.....

Time to put the shields up......:D
Yep, and it is you. One of THE THREE STOOGES... :frown:

...Dufless...Dumber...Mumbles...

·
Registered
5,337 Posts