Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need help. I was running my best ever pass friday night right up until the rear of my car decided it wanted to run in the front. It spun 4 times(full 360's) in the middle of the track and then settled down into sliding sideways. I think I went through the traps either backwards or sideways. I was running head to head with a low 12 second Comet but still managed a 12.59 at 108. I ran 12.50/60's at 107/108 last fall but didn't have these problems. Its hitting harder at the line and running harder on the track now(probably low 12 still). Perhaps I have hit some sort of limit back there but I have no clue exactly what it might be.

What I need to know is at what point did you start having these sort of squirrley handling problems and what did you do to fix it? I'm running new mid eye 5 leafs, Southside lift bars and I just put new 50/50 shocks on the back. The shocks didn't help my problems with it jack rabbiting at the line.

If its too stiff in the ass end would that make it hop at the line and also make it get light up around 108 and loose it like this? Before I run again I will have to do something because that was a level of fun that I don't want again, LOL. As a post script, somebody else lost it last week end at this same spot and hit the guard rail so its possible something is going on there on the track.

At the least I'm going to buy some new tires and see if I can soften and lower my rear end a couple more inches. Maybe that will keep air from getting up under the back end?

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
Hottarod,I'm glad you didn't get hurt or bang up your car. That sounds like way too much fun for me. It probably had something to do with the track,not your car. I race at Los Angeles County Raceway which is out in the desert. The wind blows there most of the time and gets sand on the track .I've come close to spinning my Morris more than once,but never the Falcon.Both cars have run 110-112MPH and I never had a problem except in the wind or a loose track.Gotta be the track not your car. Glad you're OK to race another day.

·
Premium Member
14,758 Posts
I agree. I'd suspect something with the track, a sudden cross wind, or maybe something ON the track. Did your car check out after the incident? Sometimes an axle breaking can cause what you describe, in a hurry! I'd also check the rear brakes carefully. One of the cables on my rear brake adjusters broke last summer It caused one the rear brake on that side to be applied all the time and created a very spooky ocilation! That was at only 55 mph. At 110? I shudder to think!

·
Premium Member
2,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I just checked my rear axles and they are still fine. I thought maybe I might have broke something in the traction lock but it feels and sounds fine too. I never felt or heard anything pop on the track. I looked at my rear brake lines and they still look fine. I will check the back brakes though. I inspect those lines and the rear suspension and tires every time I strap my car down on the trailer. It was like some body just picked the back of the car up and slung it around on me. Man you should see my right rear slick. Its toast. The skid ground down the edge of the tread for about a foot. Its rolled down on the edge like a radial tire now, LOL.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts