Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am currently running on 14" vintage rims and I want to get a set of BFG Drag Radials to drop my 60fts.
I'm somewhat limited on height and width, but my question is this. Should I go with a size that has slightly less width with taller sidewalls or one with more width with shorter sidewalls? More traction from widith or softer sidewalls?

I'm talking 215/60/14 (8.7 tread and 24.2" height) or 225/45/14 (9.1 and 22" height).

I'm running a 4.11 with a 3.35 first gear so I'm pretty low already. Current tire size is 225/60/14.

Thanks,

·
Registered
169 Posts
I can't speak for those sizes, but the 275/60/15 BFG drag radials I run don't have a ton of sidewall flex. Even at 13 psi (my best results with that psi). There's some, but it's no wrinkle wall tire...
But more sidewall, more flex, the easier it hits the pavement.
More tread, shorter sidewall, harder hit, will require better suspension.

With that gear set you have though, you could benefit from the taller tire. The shorter tire may hurt you on the other end of the track.

What 60' times are you shooting for?

·
Premium Member
723 Posts
You will not like the 22" they will be too low a final gear ratio. I would go with the first tire at 8.7 width and the larger sidewall. You want the bigger sidewall to help with wrinkle and grip. I have a 3.35 first gear as well.

·
Registered
244 Posts
i was running the 215 60 14 bfg drag radials on my 61 falcon and got 60 foot times of 1.72 consistantly. that was with a 3.55 rear gear. i stll have the tires, to bad your so far away i am looking to get rid of them. i am running a 15 inch rim now by the way.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts