Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you guys with drag radials drive them at highway speeds? I mean 70+ mph for awhile. Are they stable at 70+? My Mickey's get really squarmy at speed and changing lanes becomes a both hands on the steering wheel operation.

·
Registered
123 Posts
hell, i hope thier better on the highway than they are on the track

·
Registered
146 Posts
I am not speaking from direct experience but most people I have talked to say the drag radials behave like a normal street tire on the highway(alot more stable than the MT Streets) but as far as driving in the rain the BFG tire is not too great while the Nitto tire is pretty good. As far as traction on the strip most will tell you they are not as sticky as the MT Street, but the radials are more stable at the top end. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That helps alot. I'm looking for a sticky street tire that I can drive for an hour on the highway if I want to without the drawbacks with bias ply tires. The rain isn't a problem this car hasn't seen rain in years.

·
Registered
474 Posts
i have the BFG's and the only weather there "bad" in is snow..... not that i don't enjoy the good unplowed snow covered street with drag radials.. but in rain on the highway, i don't feel any problem either. Ohh and they are very grippy on the dry road, at 24-27 PSI

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the info guys. It looks like I'm headed for some drag radials next time around.

Too bad for a 14" rim I have to use a wussie 215-65-14.

·
Registered
7,506 Posts
Guys, just don't think for a minute that a drag radial will provide anywhere near the traction of a real slick. It WON'T... They are better than regular radials, but can't hold a candle to real drag tires... especially on a stickshift car. Their soft compound works 'fair' with an automatic transmission, but the relatively stiff sidewalls (compared to a slick) don't deal with shockloads very well. You'll notice that ALL the DR racers use the tallest sidewall DR's in production to try and get a little 'give'. They also use automatics and turbos... that bring the power on gradually.

You are really DOLLARS ahead to get an extra set of rims and install slicks... and use them only for 'special' occasions. Used this way, a set of slicks will last several years... where soft (and expensive) DR's will need replaced on a constant basis.

Why spend thousands of dollars on engine and suspension mods, just to shoot yourself in the foot at the track with inferior traction? Slicks (or ET-Streets, or Hoosier QT-Pro's) cost the same, and work WAY better. See what your drivetrain is REALLY capable of with OPTIMUM traction!

Think about it.......

I've done my share of serious racing on the track, AND the street, and KNOW what will work and what won't.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
123 Posts
listen to mike...dr's suck compared to a regular slick! with average 60' there almost .3-.4 difference...there's no comparison!

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the tip. The drag radials are going to be my street tire. That's what the question was for. I needed to know if they were going to be reasonably streetable (and highwayable)esp. compared to my MT supersports (they suck).

This car sees little milage and no rain (spoiled). Just around town fun. i just want to be able to take it on the highway and stay with trafic and not feel uncomfortable about the car feeling loose at 70mph.

I got a set of slicks in mind for the track but, might use the drag radials once and run through the pipes for giggles and curiosity.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.