Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings all, I just got a hold of some used 26x8.5x15 M&T drag slicks that I intend to mount to a pair of 10 holes. My questions are:

1. do these things get balanced ?
2. If they should be balanced, what pressure should the tire be at while balanceing ?

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Slicks can take an amazing amount of weight to balance. Definitly get them balanced or risk getting your teeth rattled out. My 15-33's have 3 & 8 oz's respectively. My old 14.5-32's had 13 & 15, the tire slipping 1/8 of a turn would give you the ride of your life with the vibration.

·
Registered
7,506 Posts
Tubes can really make tire balancing a pain in the a**, since they tend to re-position themselves as the car is run. I don't run tubes anymore, and don't recommend them. Running drag tires on the street (with a spool) and getting two flats from pinched tubes, isn't fun. (been there, done that) Slicks generally work better without tubes, anyway.

You'll probably need to air the tires up to around 30-40psi to get the beads to fully seat. If you are picky, balance the tires at the pressure they will be run, which is around 15psi. I read from one of the slick manufacturer's websites that these tires should be 'static' balanced, not 'dynamic' since the tire is all deformed much of the pass anyway. In other words, the bubble balancer works just fine. They don't need spun. Most spin balancers will also 'static' balance tires (for those of us who want to put all the weights on one side (inside) of the wheel. I've had my slicks balanced both ways, and could not tell any difference.

Good Luck!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.