Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need to buy some drag tires. I don't plan to drive the car on street with them, but I hear the drag radial are excellent. Car is a 500HP Mustang. Comments? Brand choice?

·
Registered
7,497 Posts
Stick or automatic. The only really GOOD DR's are the Mickey Thompsons.... but stick cars need bias ply DOT or regular slicks. The DR sidewalls are too stiff and don't handle shock loads very well, and once they start spinning, they keep spinning. (not good for a stick car)

Good Luck!

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
I like the Mickey Thompson drag radials and I have used the BFGs also. I think the Mickeys are better. I run a 275 60/15 although they came out w/ a 255 60/15 about a month after I got mine which I wish I had gotten instead. Sure would have saved a lot of time for me not having to roll my fenders to get them to not scrape, but they sure do hook!

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
What about the Nitto 555R drag radials? They are the only brand that have a size that will fit my wheels (17x8 cobra mustang wheels, 245/45R17 tires). I know, a taller sidewall would probably work better, but I'd like to have ONE set of tires that looks good all the time on my weekend warrior, and mismatched tires/wheels don't look good.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Motorhead on 8/10/06 7:51am ]</font>

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
I would buy a cheap set of 10 hole rims and mount a set of M/T drag slicks on them for when you're at the track.
If you don't need them for the street, then just buy the non DOT slicks.
You will then still have your nice set of matched wheels/tires for the street.

·
Registered
4,589 Posts
Hope you have a line-lok for the nitto's. They take FOREVER to heat up.
And if you dont heat them, Forget it. And still they will spin out of the hole.

82GT nailed it. Mickey T all the way.

·
Registered
420 Posts
I have used N555R, BFG, and now MT Street Drag Drag Radials. For a street car that you want better traction than a regular street tire, and no track use, or not real high HP on track, the Nitto are fine, and and get decent milage (5,000-10,000 miles) For casule street use, and more HP the BFGs are a good compremise, stick a lot better, but tread life is down. (3,000-5,000 miles). For mainly strip, high HP, and NO use in the rain, the MT's kick butt, over the other 2, but with less milage than both. The MTs should not be used on the street for anything over a 10 mile drive since once they warm up even from driving, they get softer and the tread wear increases very fast.

I have a brand new set of MT 275/50/15 mounted on my strip wheels, and new BFG 275/40/17 on my street wheels.

Ready for some cruising

Ready for battle

Bruce

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
Well that pretty much rules out the MTs for me, as the strip is 90 miles away and I'd rather drive it than trailer it (don't even have a trailer anyways). I'd go for the BFG except they don't make anything that fits a 17x8 inch rim... so it's either the Nitto 555Rs or get different rims to mount the drag radials on and only use them for drag racing. I probably put less than 2000 miles a year on my pickup, so I don't care if the tires don't last long... hell the ones I have now will be old and cracked long before the tread wears down. Hmm, ok, well something to think about, thanks for the input

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Motorhead on 8/10/06 11:23pm ]</font>

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
If you're considering buying different rims to mount drag radials on and only use them for racing then why not just buy the M/T slicks?
Am I missing something here?

·
Registered
7,497 Posts
On 2006-08-10 13:05, 82GT wrote:
If you're considering buying different rims to mount drag radials on and only use them for racing then why not just buy the M/T slicks?
Same here... Especially since you have a stick shift. If the tire will be used for track use only, get a bias ply DOT or regular slicks.

As a matter of fact, a new set of steel wheels ($40 each from Summit) and a set of slicks used only on the track.... or special occasions.... will SAVE you money in the long run. Drag radials cost just as much as real slicks and won't last anytime on the street. You'll be buying expensive tires every time you turn around. You'll get a few YEARS out of a set of slicks that get occasional use.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
On 2006-08-10 13:05, 82GT wrote:
I would, except for the 90 mile drive to the strip, from what you guys are saying, that would be bad with drag slicks right? I guess I could bring a jack with me and swap the tires when I get there, then leave the street tires in the pickup bed for ballast/traction lol.

edit: oh sorry, you were probably talking about the MT drag radials, not full-blown slicks. Yeah that would probably be the smarter choice, as long as they are safe to drive 90 miles in fair weather, and it won't ruin them.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Motorhead on 8/11/06 5:54am ]</font>

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Just leave your current street tires on until you get to the track and then switch to the M/T slicks. Before you go home, switch back to your street tires. That's what everyone does that has to drive their ride to/from the strip.
Besides, you will be MUCH happier with the M/T slicks.
A set of 26x10x15 M/T slicks would probably work nice for you.

·
Registered
420 Posts
It depends on what track rules you are running at. Lots of classes do not allow slicks. Even in Bracket Racing at most tracks, there are what is refered to Street , Sportsman Class, Pro, and Super Pro. The 1st 2 do not allow slicks, which would put you into Pro if they follow the rules. If you run in Pro or Super Pro, you are up against mainly serious racers, that reaction times do not varry much more than a few 100s of a second.

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
We have a class on Friday nights called "Outlaw", which allows slicks.
The competition in that class varies. You might run against a 10 second pinto or a 16 second honda civic.

·
Registered
7,497 Posts
On 2006-08-11 07:25, 392Bird wrote:
It depends on what track rules you are running at. Lots of classes do not allow slicks. Even in Bracket Racing at most tracks, there are what is refered to Street , Sportsman Class, Pro, and Super Pro. The 1st 2 do not allow slicks, which would put you into Pro if they follow the rules. If you run in Pro or Super Pro, you are up against mainly serious racers, that reaction times do not varry much more than a few 100s of a second.
Then you run DOT slicks, like the MT ET-Street or Hoosier Quick Time Pro. You can still mount them on seperate wheels, and change when you get to the track..... especially if you're racing a truck.

·
Registered
659 Posts
If you want a mild drag tire. Then the MT drag radials are ok.
I have a set. They are alot better than the street tires, only a bit better than the Nascar tires i ran last yr. I am disapointed in them.
My 66 can flat fry them any time any way. I cannot launch much over idle rpm as they will spin. I am going with a bias ply wrinkle wall next time. In fact i got a set of MT's for sale.

1966 Stang Coupe Org. 6 cyl. 351w,Sealed Power Hypers, ARP bolts,Total Seal rings,Eagle H-beams rods,Balanced,Hedman long tubes, Pro Comp 2.05/1.60 Heads, Shaft roller Rockers, Victor Jr intake, Holley 750 DP, Ed Nix Custom .600/.600 254/258 @.050 Solid Cam, Crane solid roller lifters,Richmond 4.11, Strange mini spool, Modified C4, 3500 stall, ******* Transbrake, B&M Hammer shifter, Shelby lowered, Pro Comp 6Al system. Mickey Thompson 275/50 Et Street Drag radials.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: forthman on 8/12/06 7:59am ]</font>

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
I race in the Maryland Street Racing Association and we have a class specifically around drag radials. It is called UDR for Unlimited Drag Radial and to say the Mickey Thompson is a mild drag tire is a joke when most of the guys are running low 8's and some are running high 7's on it. Some of the guys even do this with it. Just my 2 cents.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: blown68 on 8/14/06 5:54am ]</font>

1 - 18 of 18 Posts