Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
330 Posts
This may ba a stupid question....but what are the blue bar looking things on top of the rockers?? Are they to hole the rockers in place?
Thanks.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Which block is that? Looks like you have plenty of $$$ into those cylinder heads.
Nice looking piece good luck with it.

·
Premium Member
14,758 Posts
Dr evil. No question is too stupid. If a person doesn't know.....ask....simple enough.
Yes, they are called a stud girdle. I've never run one before, (but then again, I've never had aluminum heads before). While I was tightening it down, (the girdle), I could feel it actually pulling a couple of the studs into place. (felt like it anyway).
It's not a HUGE cam by any means, (640-650 lift), but I figured, why take the chance with breakage at this point).
And, Yes, there is ALOT of money in those heads!!!!

The block is nothing special. (it just looks that way because I tapped the frost plug holes and put the 'racing' screw in block plugs). It's an 84 351W block. (came out of a squad car for what that's worth). I know I went hunting thru the boneyards, found a 351W in a squad, yanked it, took it apart, and it was standard bore. Been downhill ever since.........

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: drag79stang on 2/17/02 2:19am ]</font>

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hey drag79, seems like you have 2 motors there. How about shipping one of them to me for all my help. lol.
Man that is sweet, when you fire it up, try and tape it and send it to me, and I will see if I could put a sound bite on my page for ya.

Rick

·
Premium Member
14,758 Posts
The one in the background is a 514 stroker that 'my man' built for a guy. Don't know if he's gonna dyno it or not. (more fun guesstimating what it's gonna make, right&gt

Yeah, no problem. I'll try and toss it on the back of the truck next week when we hopefully finish up throwing mine together. (waiting for machining/fitment of the super vic...)

·
Premium Member
14,758 Posts
It's a Probe Industries stud girdle. With shipping and everything, (it comes with the long polylocks too, by the way), it was around $140, if I remember correctly.
Nice unit. Shame ya have to cover up all that neat shtuff under the valve covers...............

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
With the new head purchace, (mine and yours
) it's starting to sound like a good idea. I wasn't extremly pleased at the way things lined up on my gt-40x heads. That and this motor is starting to see 7000rpm runs. I have heard that it helps keep your adjustment correct longer also. That's also a plus.{street driver solid lifter} $140 sounds like good insurance.

·
Premium Member
14,758 Posts
The keeping adjusted part is cool, but then again, I adjust between every weekend (or race), anyway.
I just figured, long studs, that go thru the intake port roofs, with that much cam, steel threaded rods into aluminum, anything I can do to save the heads from ANY kind of problem, I"m going to do in advance!

(besides, it looks cool)

(and when you're bench racing, it's one more thing you can tell your buds the motor has on it)................

1 - 14 of 14 Posts