Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have in previously C4 drilled the direct drum.

But when do you think this is a good idea to do?
Always,Street, race etc??

How many holes and dimensions are recommended? I have seen different ways doing this.

Here is what I have done before

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,301 Posts
I do it on all . IMO allows a flow of oil through the drum to help cool the frictions and steels. If just a stocker keep the holes small @ .125" . For a more performance orientated setup 1/4 or 5/16" x 4 evenly spaced

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I do it on all . IMO allows a flow of oil through the drum to help cool the frictions and steels. If just a stocker keep the holes small @ .125" . For a more performance orientated setup 1/4 or 5/16" x 4 evenly spaced
Thanks I drill 4 x 1/4"!

Another question related to this drum
The drum I will use has a piston with lots of small springs

But I have a newer piston with a single spring sitting in a drum from a 6-cyl C4

Is the "single" spring piston better than the multi spring piston in a perfomance perspective?
Can I move over the single spring piston?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,301 Posts
You don't really get a choice . The multi spring types are the early pre 70 transmissions . All 70 onwards use the large single spring. They are different I.D's and don't inerchange

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You don't really get a choice . The multi spring types are the early pre 70 transmissions . All 70 onwards use the large single spring. They are different I.D's and don't inerchange
Ok thanks!!

But there are no problems move over this complete 69 drum to the later 70's transmission?

They seam to have exactly the same dimensions but I haven't measured

·
Premium Member
4,301 Posts
You won't be able to swap them , they are close but the I.D dimensions are different . Early is smaller than the later. They must match whatever stator support and sealing rings you are using

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You won't be able to swap them , they are close but the I.D dimensions are different . Early is smaller than the later. They must match whatever stator support and sealing rings you are using
Ahaa!
So will it work if I move over the complete oilpump?

·
Premium Member
4,301 Posts
Well , sort of . You'd then need to use the correct forward drum also . The pumps are the same other than some early ones use an O'ring, its the stator support bolted to the pump is different

The catch then is the input shafts will be different , which then leads on to a different torque converter . Starts getting messy

I'm guessing you are trying to use the drum that takes more clutches ??

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well , sort of . You'd then need to use the correct forward drum also . The pumps are the same other than some early ones use an O'ring, its the stator support bolted to the pump is different

The catch then is the input shafts will be different , which then leads on to a different torque converter . Starts getting messy

I'm guessing you are trying to use the drum that takes more clutches ??

Yes I noticed yesterday when I tried to assemble.....Nothing fits.
Even the oilpump are different so I will fix another correct direct drum.

I have bought a 500hp kit from Broader so there are more clutches! I mailed broader if he has used Direct drum to ship

1 - 10 of 10 Posts