Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About 1/2 way in the rollup becomes very hard to roll up.
I want to know if there is an adjustment I can make.. Or is there a part I need to replace/overhaul..

·
Premium Member
1,064 Posts
There are little plastic "rollers/guides" in the track(bottom of the window)that need replaced or cleaned and re-greased the old grease gets hard and slows the process.....easy fix just time consuming

·
Registered
634 Posts
Yep ,as noted i believe it's the rollers , just replaced all of mine. They may even have a flat spot worn on them if they have been giving trouble a long time. Really not that hard to install and you can readjust how the glass fits in the opening at the same time.

Edit, the glass can be out of the guides too giving you that problem.

·
Premium Member
1,479 Posts
I have the same problem. Is it just a matter of removing the door panels and changing them out? I just figured that there was all kinds of stuff to change out and I have no idea what to even look for in there so I haven't bothered to look. :confused:

Guess I might have another project to do......

John

·
Registered
634 Posts
I have the same problem. Is it just a matter of removing the door panels and changing them out? I just figured that there was all kinds of stuff to change out and I have no idea what to even look for in there so I haven't bothered to look. :confused:

Guess I might have another project to do......

John
I believe you can do it just by removing the panels,not sure though. I had all of mine removed when i was rebuilding the car , made it pretty easy then. I did find one on the drivers side that had a flat spot on it. It had been giving trouble for about the last 20 years meaning i should have fixed it sooner .

·
Registered
340 Posts
Yeah the rollers are an easy fix. Been a while since I did it, but I think the steps below are how it's done.

Remove window handle, arm rest, then door panel.
Pull off the plastic water shield.
Remove the two bolts holding in the window stop and the pull the window stop out.
Roll the window down slowly. Before it gets to the bottom, reach in to support the window. continue rolling it down until the roller comes out if its guide.
Pull the clip out of the roller then pull the roller off its shaft.
The new roller should already have a clip on it. Just snap it on to the shaft.
Roll up the window slowly and guide the roller into its slot.
Roll up the window slightly then install and adjust the guide.
Then put everything else back together.

·
Premium Member
1,479 Posts
So cool, I may just have to get at that project. My driverside door handle also has "issues". It started getting loose a few years ago so I think something else in there is about ready to give up on me. Even though I rarely roll the windows up it would be nice to have them working right.

Thanks!

John

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I cant figure out how to take the dang window crank off the side of the door. I just moved the door panal around when I was working on the vent window. I did car stereo for 5 years and know about the C clip but it appearst here is a spring behind it and have no idea how to take it off.

I destroyed a door from a 62 woody at a junk yard to take out the rear window of the rear passenger door. I just took the entire door off (6 bolts). Unbolted the hing and off I went, It was a $50 all you can carry day, so I put all the chrome trim I wanted and everythin into the two doors and away I went. At my house I just litteraly ripped the old door panel off and unwound the spring and never could figure out how to remove the crank. I gave up. I got the glass out.

The spachula tool doesnt seem to work, anyone have a trick? What holds it onto the crank spline?

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have one of those (Spachula).. Anyway. You go between the spring and the crank arm or you try to compress the spring between the crank arm.
There should be a c-clip right?

FalconWagon62, you got my private message?
if not email me at [email protected]

·
Registered
340 Posts
The spring you're talking about should be behind the door panel. You shouldn't see it at all. If you see the spring you've got a whole new set of problems.

Anyhow, here's an illustration of how that tool works...

If you can't get the tool to work, you can grab the back end of it with a small hook of some kind.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
This looks like 90% the cars I dealt with 25 years ago when I did car stereo install.

The wagon has custom pannels that were put on and I think they didnt do it right :(
Yeah that C Clip looks same. That one I tried to get off at the junk yard just wouldnt come and that was with every means necessary force. Where my wagon I was extremely delecate. Will re-engage when I get home.
ARGG that spring..

·
Premium Member
2,174 Posts
I use a clean rag and slowly drag it between the door panel and crank. The clip grabs the rag and comes out.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts