Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up a driveshaft out of a 67 or 68 cougar today. It looks the same as the one in my 68 mustang. Im going to have it shortened to fit my 65 with a T5 and 9". The back of the driveshaft is different than the driveshaft that came in my 65. Instead of both yokes being welded on, the back one that bolts to the rear is attached in a different way. I cant tell how, but it goes into the driveshaft and is surrounded by rubber. i assume this if for dampening purposes, but is this a prob in higher horse applications, say around 350 or so? also, what brand u joints do you recommend for this type of application? and anyone know a good place on the peninsula in the sf bay area that can do the cut and balance and u joint install for a good price?

·
Premium Member
731 Posts
I had the same deal when I put the Hi Po rear in my Falcon. Had to go to "Pat's" and get a drive shaft. Pat is almost exactly like the Saturday Night Live skit. I swear I don't know Pat's real gender to this day. Anyway Pat is off San Jose Ave in, you guessed it, San Jose. Pat parts Mustangs. I ran the driveshaft until I put in the Toploader. Somehow I got to use the original skinny V-8 Falcon driveshaft again!

Anyway go to San Jose Driveline. When I needed a custom U-joint to join the original driveshaft to the rear, the guy know what I needed and barked some numbers to his boy. Within seconds I had a very nice custom U-joint for about $20 that has lasted about ten years now.

You should be able to find them in the yellow pages.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts