Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know if the length of the driveshaft varies on the '63 Falcon? What would they be?
I have a '63 170 that originally was a factory 4 speed but someone had swapped over to a 3 speed. I just got it on the road and it had a bad howling coming from the drivetrain. When I went to check the rear and take off the driveshaft I had to remove the rear axle U bolts to slide the rear back to get the drive shaft out. But to get it back together I would have to use a crow bar to force the axle forward to get it to drop into the spring center bolts. This just doesn't seem right, but I never have worked on any Falcons to know.

Thanks,
Dan

·
Registered
38 Posts
I don't know the length but I would guess it should be a 2 inch minim shorter than you have now . You need to have the yoke to slide in and out with rear end travel. Can you mesure the length and add at it to your posting. Jim

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I measured 55 1/2 " from centerline to centerline on the U joints.
I suspect the howling is a result of the driveshaft pushing so hard on the drive train. Didn't think that Ford would have done something like make you undo the rear U bolts to get the drive shaft off, just that the swap that was done used the wrong one.

Also I beleive the trans is a 2.77 model(long skinney tailshaft)

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: shortyforty on 8/11/06 1:21am ]</font>

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
Yupp, the driveshaft for the four speed is longer than for the three speed, because the B-W trans is shorter by a bit. The four speed usually had a different yoke due to spline count, so they don't swap one for the other. This in turn required a four speed U-joint having different sized caps. If your U-joint has all same sized caps, then someone did it to that car back when before you saw it.

Wm.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts