Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in the process of changing from a 306 Windsor to a 408 Cleveland. I was previously running a 2 3/4 inch drive shaft with 1330 Ford size joint which made its best pass while having a 1.35 60' time. When I change over to the 408, I will also be going to a trans brake which I did not have before. I have decided to upgrade the shaft to the 1350 joint. When I checked with a shaft maker, he advised using a 3 1/2 inch shaft and solid joints, however keep in mind this guy builds shafts for semi trucks. I was thinking of the Spicer 1350 greaseable joint and a 3" diameter shaft. Being confused, I decided to check theFord Muscle forum and see what everyone is using. Hope this is no problem being on the C4 forum. Thanks, Edwin

·
Registered
133 Posts
I use a 3 1/2 inch with 1350 non greasable spicer U joints . TIG welded chromoly . Built by Strange Engineering . Cost $316 delivered. No real reason to use greasable joints unless you plan on putting 100,000 miles on it . The holes iin the joint just weaken the U joint.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
On 2006-07-11 20:23, chipmechanic wrote:
I use a 3 1/2 inch with 1350 non greasable spicer U joints . TIG welded chromoly . Built by Strange Engineering . Cost $316 delivered. No real reason to use greasable joints unless you plan on putting 100,000 miles on it . The holes iin the joint just weaken the U joint.
I looked on the Strange web site and it looks like they build 3" OD shafts. Are you sure yours is a 3 1/2" ?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts