Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I retire from the Navy next year and one of the things I have always wanted to do was to travel the US. I plan on driving from the west coast to the east coast taking a southern route stoping and seeing friends and family on the way and then head up to New York and drive the CannonBall Run route back to Longbeach California. So my question is I dont know what to drive. I have been looking at cars, trucks and even jeeps. I was wondering if any of you have driven cross country and what you drove also what would you drive today. I would like to spend under 10K for a vehicle. any thoughts or ideas would be helpful

Thanks
MDDYATV

·
Registered
440 Posts
done it in a infiniti g35 and in about a month ill be doing it in a 96 impala

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
Can't recommend a certain car, but I wouldn't do it unless the car's top went down. Otherwise, you'll miss half the beauty.

I took my 03 TBird retro, top down, up the New Hampshire Mount Washington Auto Road while on a business trip. I had done it three times before in a hardtop/sedan (twice in late 80's TownCars, once in a 1968 Merc Cyclone GT).

No comparison.

·
Premium Member
3,338 Posts
we've taken the wifes Avalanche on many long trips, took the windstar quite a few long trips, I put 6000 miles in 10 days on my 85 camaro- actually that was probably the best trip I ever took, even if the car rode like a skateboard.
My old MarkVII was probably still my favorite highway cruiser, great ride/handling/power...
I would so much love to take the mustangs cross country next time- not enough seats in one for everyone, but if we caravan :) mileage with 2 cars would really suck, but I've always dreamed of doing the route 66 thing in a V8/Stick Mustang...the new mustangs ride awesome compared to the old camaro, I wouldnt hesitate at all to head to california in mine tomorrow...but know the old Mark had a smoother highway ride.
Ive never had a convertible, bet some of the mountain passes and such would be very cool to drive out in the open- but 'verts Ive been in tended to be a bit noisy to me, dont think I'd be ready to spend a week in one... but like I said, never had one either :)

·
Registered
690 Posts
When I got transferred to Ottawa in 1989, we drove there from BC, and drove back six years later, both ways in the Granada when it was still bone stock. The return trip was done in six days (so we could get there before the movers). It would probably be more enjoyable in something with a few more modern conveniences (or even a heater that worked, for that matter!)

·
Premium Member
4,010 Posts
Train. Been across in cars and trucks and van. but only half way on a train. It goes places you'll never see from a car.

·
Premium Member
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Drive your Galaxie you ding bat! Why think of any other vehicle?
I would but I would like to not worry about it getting stollen when I am at some random hotel in the middle of nowhere.

·
Premium Member
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I take my Falcon everywhere and rarely even take the keys out of it... If that's not steal-able nothing is. Take the Gal and ENJOY life! :D

True. but with my big block and 3:50 gears I dont get the best gas milage and and the only thing I would be seeing is every gas station between here and there..

·
Registered
10,316 Posts
Can't recommend a certain car, but I wouldn't do it unless the car's top went down. Otherwise, you'll miss half the beauty.
No comparison.
Absolutely. Having done the X-country thing in and on all kinds of stuff, the wife and I are planning our get-away cruise in our convertible. A solid and reliable late-model with room for roadie junk, an iPod/MP3 port or satellite radio, and decent mileage would be great. You could go classic, but it has to be solid. We are building our '69 Cougar convertible for our trip with all that and EFI with a 5-speed for mileage, sound system, road tool pack, etc. and lots of room on the card for fuel. :eek:
Have fun!
David

·
Premium Member
34,853 Posts
True. but with my big block and 3:50 gears I dont get the best gas milage and and the only thing I would be seeing is every gas station between here and there..

This is America son, Play it by ear! Drive from fuel station to fuel station like back in 60's, the trip will be more authentic and memorable, the more times you stop and smell the roses.

Folks that haul ass down the interstate hoping for good fuel economy are missing all the good stuff America has to offer.

When I took that trip to Vegas back in November, I stopped at every city within 1 mile of the roads I took (interstate included) along the route For a small cruise down their main drag, just to see what they were like.

Most were boring but some were ancient looking and full of American soul.

Getting there is OK, but getting everywhere in between is what I consider the experience.

·
Registered
5,551 Posts
Took my '03 Lightning halfway a few years ago. Would have done the other half had I not been sick. Got my trailer, turned around & went back home. Fun drive. Saw a lot of different things. Took backroads mostly. On I-40 for a while then got lost out in Eastern Colorado/Western Kansas/NW Oklahoma. Not sure what state I was in. Wasn't much there. Drove for hours and saw nary a gas station. Finally found a place where daylight was pumped in that had a single gas pump, 86 octane. Place was closed but the pumps were still on.

On the way back I came down I-25 for a while, then got off the freeway down around Las Vegas, NM. Drove east for a few hundred miles and ran RIGHT into a tornadic storm in extreme eastern NM. That was interesting. Drove RIGHT into that monster. Parked under a tree (and even those were hard to find) to get out of the hail storm as best I could (nothing else to park under). Only issue I had was a hailstone hit the windshield and cracked it. Still cracked to this day. Got to see the eastern Rocky Mountains, the wind-eroded rock formations all down I-25 and into NM. Beautiful drive. Even the "butt crack" mountain was...interesting. Looks like a pair of butt cheeks from a distance.

·
Registered
484 Posts
What Gary says... I drove from NYC to LA via Rt 66 in a -58 Chevy some 5 years ago, and can recommend such a trip in an old car to all you guys. The old car really opens up opportunities and generates meetings with people you'd never meet in a modern car. Go for it and my best tips is make sure to find a reliable car

·
Premium Member
658 Posts
Train. Been across in cars and trucks and van. but only half way on a train. It goes places you'll never see from a car.
Taking the Zepher cross country from Chicago to San Francisco this summer! Can't wait!

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
I'd love to drive cross country, but, even with a new motor, I wouldn't take the chance in my 214,000 mile Galaxie.

On the other hand, I do have a 2003 TBird retro.

Two problems.

Wife's not interested, and luggage space is real tight.

Attachments

·
Administrator
21,678 Posts
Been across the US too many times for me. Oldest rig '69, newest '01. The best mileage was in a very non-ford hitting 45mpg a couple times even, the next on the list for gas was the 69 at 25mpg. If it's fuel economy i'd have to say hundai *ducking!* We get between 35-45mpg at 55, not the 65-70 freeway cruising. Keep tires at 38 psi and it does the best on dry pavement. Never thought about how much wet roads effect mileage til now. If it were me i'd just find the most sound vehicle you can and a couple months at least, before you are leaving to be sure it's ready to roll. Most newer cars to fairly well on fuel now days.

If i had the cash to leasurely cross the country i'd take the shotrod in a minute, 10-20 yrs ago i would of slept in it too, no hotel costs except when i wanted to!! 20 yrs ago i was crossing the US and sleeping in the rig, one side to the other and back again. Where did time go!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts