Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a quick question about my 66 Mustang. It has a 9", 3.73 gears, 25" tires, and a c4. This equates to between 3500-4000rpm on the freeway. (engine is a mildly hopped up 289) I'm eventually going to put a T-5 in it for the overdrive, but I can't afford that yet. Someone rear ended my daily driver, and it's going to be in the shop for at least a month. It would be nice if I was able to drive the Mustang to and from work while my focus is in the shop. The drive requires 7 miles of freeway driving each way, 65mph speed limit.

My question is, will this be a huge problem for the engine? I'm thinking it won't be. There aren't any problems with the engine, so as far as I'm concerned I should be able to run it at 4000rpm all day long. I'm sure it will put more wear on the engine, but I shouldn't have any major problems doing this, should I? Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks!

·
Registered
502 Posts
65 mph, 3.73, 25"? i get 3300 rpm assuming no converter slippage. (3260). you should be fine for only 7 mi each way. maybe just go 60mph?

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
No sweat.

·
Registered
3,658 Posts
I run 3000RPM at 60 on the highways, 3.50's, 25" tire, c4.

I've run it like that for over 5000 miles, not a problem one. You'll just get terrible mileage

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: thekingofazle on 9/6/06 11:19am ]</font>

·
Registered
4,003 Posts
You won't have engine problems from driving at that RPM for 70 miles much less 7. The noise may get to you but the engie is breathing fine and hardly working at all at that speed. You shouldn't have much problem going around slower cars when you are in the middle of your torque/horsepower overlap either. I could get in a lot of trouble doing that.....
You will be fine , and so will your car.

Paul

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: PaulS1950 on 9/6/06 1:23pm ]</font>

·
Registered
41 Posts
I have 3.55's and my 289 is spinning about 3300rpm at 60mph. Because I have full length headers and Flowmaster 2-chambers, the only real problem is the drone and various vibrations (in the car), but the motor doesn't seem to mind all that much

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Awesome! That's good to hear. I'm sure the noise will be enough to drive me nuts (spintech mufflers are loud), but it's good to know the engine won't mind. Thanks to everyone that responded!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts