Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When you are doing the drum to disc break conversion what's the difference in manual and powered disc breaks, and how can you tell if it's one or another?

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
If the car has a vacuum booster/hydro-boost it is power assist.

·
Registered
126 Posts
It would make it a powered brake system. It still could be drum or disc.

·
Registered
865 Posts
The question is important because usually the bore size in the replacement master cylinder you add is different depending on if you have a power booster or not so when you are looking at disc brake upgrade kits and they say "power or manual disc brake upgrade" is it because they have to know when master cylinder to send you in the kit.

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
If you car now has no booster, it is manual brakes whether all drum or disc/drum.

If your car now has a booster, it is power brakes whether all drum or disc/drum.

If you plan on buying a disc kit and power conversion, the correct MC will come with it (hopefully).

Does that answer the question?

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Does that answer the question?
I was wondering the same thing... Guess we're to guess...:rolleyes:

Or maybe as FE would say....
????

·
Premium Member
628 Posts
You'll also find the prop valve can be different and in some vehicles the brake pedals are of a different ratio too. The ratio difference allows for more pressure with each inch the piston in the MC travels.This is also why the MCs use different piston size.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok so my main question is is how can you tell if a disc break Is powered or manual bc I have front disc breaks and I don't know if they are powered or manual (I have no break booster if that makes a difference) I have rear drum breaks and I am wanting to upgrade to disc but I don't no witch one I should get (powered or manual) bc I already have the front ones and I don't want to get two different ones bc it might not work or something I guess.

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Ok so my main question is is how can you tell if a disc break Is powered or manual bc I have front disc breaks and I don't know if they are powered or manual (I have no break booster if that makes a difference)
STOP!!! (no pun intended) If NO booster MANUAL, WITH booster POWER (assist)

The answer was wayyyyyy at the beginning of this thread if You would read every post.
I will let someone else answer the next question, or think its a question, cant really tell bc there is no punctuation bc i dont want to exercise my pinky bc i dont want to talk in real english.......

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
My bad, guess I should have read all the post because it was straight up in front of my face! Thanks guys I appreciate it.

Hope my punctuation is good enough for yall now.

:eek:

·
Premium Member
5,915 Posts
Okay, good job, young man.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts