Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4,520 Posts
On 2006-11-15 13:22, psivory wrote:
I have a new master cylinder which is for front disc, rear drum. I am a little confused wether or not I need a residual valve, and or proportioning valve.
Thanks!
Yes you need one to "properly" make the change. You can do it one of several ways.

Since that year had a factory option for front discs, you can find one and replace it with the proper distribution block...by the way, Ford factory used a combination valve instead of separate residual valve it has the proper bias built into the combination valve. If I am not mistaken MPC, sells the correct (or very near correct) valve. Check their online catalog.

The other way is to install a proportion valve as suggested. But I'm not certain that solve the problem, since the residual valve is still inside the combination block. You may need to "gut" it, if you are going to use a proportioning valve.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Currently Converting my 64 to disc's.Just bought my FORD style proportioning valve from ABS PowerBrake in the city of Orange,CALIF
$55.00 The only bitch is setting up the NEW brake lines to feed the calipers and reposition the hold downs/brackets on the frame rails.
Other than that,its going pretty smooth,so far.
i will post pics of the progress.

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
On 2006-11-15 13:22, psivory wrote:

I have a new master cylinder which is for front disc, rear drum. I am a little confused wether or not I need a residual valve, and or proportioning valve.
To properly plumb, you need a metering valve for the front brakes, a pressure differential valve (for warning lamp oeration) and an adjustable proportioning valve for the rear brakes.

The residual valve for the rear brakes will be in the MC (DISC/DRUM).

FORD did not go to a combination valve until 1972, so to retain proper bias, you will be better with the adj. proportioning valve (IMO).

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the reply's. I currently have a proportioning valve from Wildwood, the new MC from SSBC, and a new distribution block made for disc/drum. Now my question is, with this setup, do I still need a proportioning valve for the rear brakes?
Thanks again!!!!!

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
On 2006-11-16 17:39, psivory wrote:

I currently have a proportioning valve from Wildwood

the new MC from SSBC
I guess that is a DELCO...

and a new distribution block made for disc/drum
Please descibe the distribution block. Does it contain valve(s)?

Now my question is, with this setup, do I still need a proportioning valve for the rear brakes?
A proportioning valve is only used on the rear drum brakes of a disc/drum setup.

·
Registered
4,589 Posts
Is the prop. valve from Wildwood the one with a knob?

·
Registered
4,520 Posts
I see you have decided to go with the separate proportional valve.

It makes things a little more complicated, you will need to find a quiet place to do some stopping tests to get the correct balance. The front brakes should lockup before the rears. once you have it set, you should not have to mess with it again! On a passenger car it is not that important,...I've been told that many road/oval track racers have in car access to proportional valve to allow manually adjusting bias to compensate for fuel load, tire, track condition.

A few links to review how systems components are plumbed.

http://www.hotrodssuperstore.com/compropval.html
http://auto.howstuffworks.com/master-brake.htm
http://auto.howstuffworks.com/master-brake2.htm
http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/direct/view/.ef0d998

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
On 2006-11-18 11:03, wildosvt01 wrote:
Is the prop. valve from Wildwood the one with a knob?
Oooops, not the proportioning valve, the residual valve.

The distribution block is for a mustang with front disc and rear drum. Looks like the one on my current setup, solid brass. I got it last year when I redid the brakes in Stainless. I stripped the original and wasn't sure if I was going to be able to salvage it. Ended up getting it to work so didn't need the new one.

The MC from SSBC is for a front disc/rear drum detup.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: psivory on 11/19/06 5:19am ]</font>

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Beoweolf, thanks for the links!
I spoke with someone at SSBC, and Wildwood.
Looks like I will be good with the new MC, and distribution block. They do reccomend an adjustable proportioning valve for the rear brakes.
Now to decide on slotted or smooth rotors, and which calipers I want to use. Either the stock steel single piston economy ones, or the aluminum dual piston pricey ones!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: psivory on 11/19/06 7:06am ]</font>

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.