Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 05 just went over 10k and a problem came up.
The fuel gauge drops to Empty and I get the error code:
DTE FLI DATA ERR
Then it returns to normal after about a minute.
Now the sulfer issue cannot apply because all I put in the car is Chevron Mid Grade.

Back from the dealer.
Service manager told me that he is seeing this more and more on the Mustang.
They have tried the techroline but that hasn't worked on most that came in.
They replaced my sender and Fuel pump.
He said he hasn't seen one come back yet they fixed this way.

·
Registered
5 Posts
ixtlan,
I am experiencing this same error. Just got back from the dealer and, since they can't duplicate the problem (it's intermittent), they aren't going to replace anything! ARGGHHH!. I've let the technician drive the vehicle home overnight, but who knows. Do you have any contact info on the dealership you've used that might be able to shed light on the cause of this issue?

·
Registered
5 Posts
OK, I just returned from the dealership. The tech drove the car home and back (60+) miles w/ no error. Typical. I had to get somewhat angry with them as 'their hands were tied.' I believe they didn't want to install any parts until they had a duplicable failure. I demanded satisfaction, went up two levels of management to the regional service manager. After explaining my issue and my suggested solution, he agreed to replace the fuel sending unit(s). I'll keep you guys posted.

·
Banned
864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Duplicate? It is logged in the computer.
Mine did it twice and I took it in.
They changed it then and there.
I do have a good dealer though.

·
Registered
5 Posts
OK, I went to pickup the Mustang today, I had them show me both fuel sending units. They'd pulled the electric fuel pump from the primary sending unit, I can only imagine why. The tank was almost empty( <1/2 gal), so I put fifteen gallons of fuel in it... and it's still registering EMPTY! The level of aptitude at these dealerships is so amazingly low... someone had eaten sunflower seeds and what looks like an ice cream waffle cone in my Mustang while at the dealership... wow. I don't even let my friends eat in my car. The service writer heard it from me on this one. I'm trying to be nice, but I am getting yanked around here.

It's still at the dealership. BTW, there has been no code logged into the computer for the DTE FLI DATA ERROR.

So, ixtlan, do you have any contact info you can give me for your dealer? I'd love to talk with them.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Well the problem still exists. Does anyone have any other ideas as to what may cause and DTE FLI DATA ERRor? I've made some notes as to when it happens and it seems somewhat random. It usually pops up within a minute of re-starting the car after a short trip, park it, run inside, and come out and restart it. But I still can't duplicate the problem for the mechanic. The other day the error happened while sitting in the car with the ignition on but not running. Any ideas?
The dealer may have to try changing my instrument cluster, that's next on the list.

·
Banned
864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That is a bummer.
Well since what causes the error as I understand is that signal (Data) is interrupted. Loose connection?
Bad computer?
Cluster I don't think so but don't know how it works really.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts