Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,041 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a c4 from a 78 LTD that has the pan fill and large convertor with the bell housing that bolts to the case instead of the convertor its bolted to a 351W. Is there a flywheel that would allow me to use the smaller convertor small bell from the case fill c4 of the same era? Thought I seen something once about a big bell small convertor in the 74? bronco, thought that was odd but thought I would ask.

·
Registered
679 Posts
I have a c4 from a 78 LTD that has the pan fill and large convertor with the bell housing that bolts to the case instead of the convertor its bolted to a 351W. Is there a flywheel that would allow me to use the smaller convertor small bell from the case fill c4 of the same era? Thought I seen something once about a big bell small convertor in the 74? bronco, thought that was odd but thought I would ask.
Ford did make such a flexplate. I actually have one but not sure what it originally came out of. It is a 164 tooth flexplate with the 10.5" pattern. I found it in a 67 Mustang with a pan fill c-4. What you can do and it does work just looks a little weird is use the small, case fill bellhousing with the longer front pump bolts and it will actually bolt onto that pan fill c4. Then you can use the 157 tooth flexplate and 10.5" bolt pattern converter. I have seen it done.

·
Premium Member
1,041 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok Thanks for verifying there was such a thing. In the past I did have one of the 351CJ C6's with the little convertor and wondered if they had done that on some C4's. I did some work on a Mustang that the owner had put a small bell on a big case and you are right it did look weird.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Ford did make a 164 tooth 10.5" pattern flexplate and special extended pilot converter. They were somewhat common on '73-'76 early Broncos and probably also E and F series. No one manufactures those flexplates or converters anymore.

Attachments

·
Registered
578 Posts
Ford made a 164 tooth flex plate that would bolt to a Small diameter converter it was used in the 1971-72 mustang 351 Cobra jet! the problem is you have to use the converter with a 9 3/8' bolt circle!
This just happens to be the same bolt pattern that is used in V6 Rangers and 2.3 4 cylinder Mustangs with a C 4 or C5 transmission!
This Flex plate is stil available from pioneer under pn: FRA220

·
Premium Member
4,324 Posts
Would have to be a special converter as usually a 157 and 164 bellhousings are different depths and not normally interchangeable

·
Registered
578 Posts
What we use Greg is a spacer plate between the bell and the pump to get the depth correct to match the converter! The ranger converter is deeper than the normal c4 164 bell!

·
Premium Member
1,041 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks, lots of info there. Lots of parts I didn't know existed. Looks like easiest thing would be to just buy a converter rather than track down elusive parts to use another just because it was on the shelf.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Yes you will be happier with the results We started using the 4 cylinder converter back in the 1970's when a good after market converter was not easy to get!
A converter made for the Application will give better results!

·
Premium Member
4,324 Posts
Ah gotcha there. That makes sense ����

All the converters I use here are custom built to suit. You know then how they will perform.
Trialling unknown or used converters is hit & miss IMO

1 - 10 of 10 Posts