Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to replace my single chamber master cylinder with a dual reservoir MC for safety. My '63 has manual drum/drum brakes, and I am not planning to convert at this time. I just need a dual MC that will bolt in place of my single MC.

Can I simply use one from a drum/drum '67 Gal, or would there be a better donor? OEM or aftermarket makes no difference to me.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Your local parts store should have a generic one that works good. Check other posts for replacing your front spindles for a disc brake upgrade that's cheap and gives you better braking.

·
Premium Member
5,369 Posts
Yes, use the '67 Galaxie drum/drum, or basically anything with a drum/drum set up with the same bolt pattern mounting and approx 1 inch bore.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Your local parts store should have a generic one that works good. Check other posts for replacing your front spindles for a disc brake upgrade that's cheap and gives you better braking.
I'll be converting to discs in the future when I rebuild the suspension and steering. For now, I'm trying to finish a motor swap, and a brake line cracked. For my safety, I want to go ahead and replace the single chamber while the lines are dry.

Yes, use the '67 Galaxie drum/drum, or basically anything with a drum/drum set up with the same bolt pattern mounting and approx 1 inch bore.
Thank you very much!

·
Registered
215 Posts
RAYBESTOS MC36226 1" bore (67 Mustang)

original single res.: 1" bore, 1 3/32" bore front wheel cyl., 15/16" bore rear wheel cyl. (63 Galaxie)

I think the Galaxie dual res. MS is a 15/16" with larger res. for front disc. and smaller for rear drum...???

ETA: Pushrod depth and travel was the same between the above unit and the stock single res. MC.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I have the '67 full-sized Ford Dual MC on my '63; (a new one from Rock Auto (Raybestos or Wagner can't recall right now)) In my case, I needed an adjustable pushrod (Drake A21161 - I think) and also plumbed in a tee-connector for the brake switch, with a bit of other plumbing from Summit Racing.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts