Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,704 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Running a pretty stout camshaft in my car and wanted to get it back in the range of what it is to be used for. The 270 hr roller is nice , but I am trending toward a more suitable driver. I don't think the cam choice was the best for day to day driving in a 66 Stang. Now I do have a Comp 255 DEH sitting here . Would this be a good choice for a stock set up. I believe bottom end around town is what I am looking for. Sooo the question is does the dual energy cam have any benefits. I have a 289 with tri-y headers Edelbrock performer intake, 570 street avenger, 194/160 stainless valves, beehive springs,balanced rotating assembly. C4 mild shift kit and 300:1 gearing. Yes if the gearing was upgraded it would work well. The issue is now I want to drive the car to work. Mileage and just idle quality. Or would it be a better choice to put the 260Hr and call it a day. I have new parts all over this garage.

Thanks

Greg

·
Registered
146 Posts
I think the 255DEH is an FE cam?

The 260HR and 270HR are pretty similar. Lift and LSA are identicle (.533 and 110*, respectively). My choice is the 260. It has a little less duration, which will give you better low end than the 270. Also, the 260 will have a more street friendly range than the 270. I think the 260 is advertised up to about 4500 RPM. Since you're running stock gears, I'm going to assume that you are running a stock converter. I doubt that you ever run above 4500 RPM.

It sounds like you've already had the 270HR in? What didn't you like about it?

By the way, I have a converter for sale if you're interested. It gave me about 2000 RPM stall with my engine combo. It's part # F-26-S at TCS Performance Transmission, S Series Performance Converters

·
Premium Member
1,704 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There is not much wrong with the 270hr...and it pulled hard past 5500 easy.. Just the bottom end without gears is the issue. And when I changed back from a badly set up 3:55-1 to the stock 3:00-1 it was a bit slow on the launch. I am actually very happy with the idle and just don't need the duration and top end. All said and done maybe a 260hr will fit the bill ...Just trying to get into a more useable rpm range without doing a lot of changes

Greg

·
Registered
691 Posts
Just fyi, 'highway' gears don't always improve fuel economy, there are several members that claim 22mpg with 4.11 gears and a 1-1 final drive.

whatever rpm your combo is most efficient at and where you use it most is more important.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts